The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Had an odd play- need some help--

First let me tell you this was junior high softball and neither schools will be playing for titles in 2009.
Runner on third base, batter hits pop-up near the third base dug-out. The base coach has already told the runner to start home if the ball is hit. The base runner takes about three steps off the base. Now the base coach is yelling "GET BACK", now instead of walking back to the base she falls toward the base with her hand touching the base and the rest of her body down third base line.
The third base player is so slow to react that she is looking up and and then trips over the baserunners legs, that are at least four feet from third base,but the hand is still on the base.

Thanks goodness the ball hit the top of the dug-out. But I was thinking, what if she had a chance to catch the ball. I know the baserunner has the right to the base, but is she released from all violation if she is touching the base and it was not intentional?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
First let me tell you this was junior high softball and neither schools will be playing for titles in 2009.
Runner on third base, batter hits pop-up near the third base dug-out. The base coach has already told the runner to start home if the ball is hit. The base runner takes about three steps off the base. Now the base coach is yelling "GET BACK", now instead of walking back to the base she falls toward the base with her hand touching the base and the rest of her body down third base line.
The third base player is so slow to react that she is looking up and and then trips over the baserunners legs, that are at least four feet from third base,but the hand is still on the base.

Thanks goodness the ball hit the top of the dug-out. But I was thinking, what if she had a chance to catch the ball. I know the baserunner has the right to the base, but is she released from all violation if she is touching the base and it was not intentional?
Not sure about HS, but in ASA this is pretty much umpire judgment as to an interference call, but based upon the last two sentences of RS 33.A.1.c, I would not call this INT.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. In ASA, if the ball was not catchable, then the defense was not hindered by the offense from making a play.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I agree. In ASA, if the ball was not catchable, then the defense was not hindered by the offense from making a play.
OK, but what about the modification the OP suggested. Suppose this was a routine popup near the foul line, and F5, looking up to catch the ball, stumbles over the prone runner who is stretched out touching 3B with her hand?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
OK, but what about the modification the OP suggested. Suppose this was a routine popup near the foul line, and F5, looking up to catch the ball, stumbles over the prone runner who is stretched out touching 3B with her hand?
Again, only speaking ASA, then I would have INT, as the runner hindered the fielder's ability to field a foul fly ball as per 8-7-J-1.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Again, only speaking ASA, then I would have INT, as the runner hindered the fielder's ability to field a foul fly ball as per 8-7-J-1.
Did you consider the RS that Mike referenced, above?
Quote:
The rule provides that a runner must vacate any space needed by a fielder to make a play on a batted ball, unless the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when the hindrance occurs. In this case, the runner should not be called out unless the hindrance is intentional.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Did you consider the RS that Mike referenced, above?
I misread the modified sitch and pictured the runner in the process of going back to the bag.

In that case, unfortunately, I'd have a foul ball.

Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

If I recall correctly, the runner is not forced to vacate a base - either in Fed or in ASA - to allow a fielder to catch a fly ball.This runner was on the base, prone, but just another runner on the base after she returned. Unless there is something done intentionall by the runner to interfere, I've got a no call on this play - let PU call the foul.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the past couple that would just have a foul ball and no INT.

Ted
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

I have deleted a previous post of mine in this thread where a definitely stated I would have INT. While I still think I probably would, the other posts have got me thinking.

I am going to the books to read on this more closely and understand more fully, hopefully before this happens to me on the field. (I will probably, as usual, end up agreeing with you folks.)

As always, y'all keep me thinkin' and I appreciate it.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It boils down to two things. It only can be INT if the hindrance or confusion (not necessarily contact) occurred before the runner reached the base or if the runner did something intentional to hinder/confuse the fielder.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I am actually glad I asked about this play. At the time my head was swirling with 'what-to-do'.
I got a pass with the ball hitting the top of the dug-out
But to be honest, at the time, I would have called the runner out. It just looked sooo bad. (i know that isnot an excuse)
Thanks for making me see the light.

Last edited by kfo9494; Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 05:08pm.