The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Had an odd play- need some help--

First let me tell you this was junior high softball and neither schools will be playing for titles in 2009.
Runner on third base, batter hits pop-up near the third base dug-out. The base coach has already told the runner to start home if the ball is hit. The base runner takes about three steps off the base. Now the base coach is yelling "GET BACK", now instead of walking back to the base she falls toward the base with her hand touching the base and the rest of her body down third base line.
The third base player is so slow to react that she is looking up and and then trips over the baserunners legs, that are at least four feet from third base,but the hand is still on the base.

Thanks goodness the ball hit the top of the dug-out. But I was thinking, what if she had a chance to catch the ball. I know the baserunner has the right to the base, but is she released from all violation if she is touching the base and it was not intentional?