The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule Books

Are in!

Umpire Manual part look good including using stills of the DVD.

There is no mention of moving toward the line on a swipe tag at 1B, just adjust position as was previously noted.

There is a 41-page "Safety Awareness Guide" covering everything from Field Conditions to CPR, Sexual and Physical Abuse to First Aid Kits.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:04am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
There is a 41-page "Safety Awareness Guide" covering everything from Field Conditions to CPR, Sexual and Physical Abuse to First Aid Kits.
Wow, have things gotten to the point they had to include this guide? I know some blues haven't got a clue as to what is unsafe when it comes to field conditions, or weather conditions, but didn't think we would need a whole section added to our rules book/mechanics manual to cover this stuff.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Wow, have things gotten to the point they had to include this guide? I know some blues haven't got a clue as to what is unsafe when it comes to field conditions, or weather conditions, but didn't think we would need a whole section added to our rules book/mechanics manual to cover this stuff.
Simple bottom line. The risk management group believe strongly that the participants (coaches, parents) need that education and information; in fact, future insurance premium cost relates to ASA having made that information available in defense of anticipated lawsuits (if not already a proven factor).

While there are already two separate rule books (the teams don't get the umpire manual), there is certainly a proven trend that the participants (coaches, parents) don't read it, and that they learn more from the umpires. At worst, it cost ASA a few thousand $$ to include it in the umpire version of the rule book; at best, it may protect someone, or help successfully defend a lawsuit alleging ASA was negligent because ........
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Simple bottom line. The risk management group believe strongly that the participants (coaches, parents) need that education and information; in fact, future insurance premium cost relates to ASA having made that information available in defense of anticipated lawsuits (if not already a proven factor).

While there are already two separate rule books (the teams don't get the umpire manual), there is certainly a proven trend that the participants (coaches, parents) don't read it, and that they learn more from the umpires. At worst, it cost ASA a few thousand $$ to include it in the umpire version of the rule book; at best, it may protect someone, or help successfully defend a lawsuit alleging ASA was negligent because ........
Or help the plaintiffs successfully prove their case that the umpire was negligent because...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Or help the plaintiffs successfully prove their case that the umpire was negligent because...
Exactly. Once it is in writing, the umpire would be well advised to follow the worst-case interpretation by the book each time, every time. Just what we don't need, IMO.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Exactly. Once it is in writing, the umpire would be well advised to follow the worst-case interpretation by the book each time, every time. Just what we don't need, IMO.
Of course, you two haven't seen it, so your statements might be true if the manual implied or stated any added umpire responsibilities.

However, that is not the case, in every case but one, the coaches and participants are told THEY are responsible for knowing the issues and dangers, and to have a plan how THEY will address a stated case.

The one exception is that the umpire is primarily responsible to determine when to stop and start a game when lightning is pressent. Of course, everyone knew that already, so it hardly adds any liability.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, you two haven't seen it, so your statements might be true if the manual implied or stated any added umpire responsibilities.

However, that is not the case, in every case but one, the coaches and participants are told THEY are responsible for knowing the issues and dangers, and to have a plan how THEY will address a stated case.

The one exception is that the umpire is primarily responsible to determine when to stop and start a game when lightning is pressent. Of course, everyone knew that already, so it hardly adds any liability.
Funny, but I don't see anything about lightning in the 2008 rule book (is 2009 different?).

Quote:
ASA 5-3-C: The umpire is empowered to call a game at any time because of darkness, rain, fire, panic or any other cause that places the patrons or players in peril.
It doesn't say "required," it only says "empowered." Very vague, which is how I want it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Preamble to Safety Awareness Guide:

"Use of the techniquet in this Softball Safety Awareness Guide should not be considered a guarantee that participants, spectators or others will be safe or free from injury or harm while participating in the contact sports of amateur softball. ...."

There is also an entire page of disclaimers at the end.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Funny, but I don't see anything about lightning in the 2008 rule book (is 2009 different?).
It has always been (as it still states) a published guideline, available, and thus a potential liability; it is (and has been for several years) a link on the National ASA website. http://www.softball.org/about/lightning.asp Now it is incorporated into the safety manual.

Quote:
It doesn't say "required," it only says "empowered." Very vague, which is how I want it.
And that language hasn't changed. Nor any requirement. Once you have seen and read the actual document, that would be a good time to state a conclusion, rather than jump to an unfounded assumption.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Once you have seen and read the actual document, that would be a good time to state a conclusion, rather than jump to an unfounded assumption.
Now you're just trying to ruin this for everyone...
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It has always been (as it still states) a published guideline, available, and thus a potential liability; it is (and has been for several years) a link on the National ASA website. http://www.softball.org/about/lightning.asp Now it is incorporated into the safety manual.
Seen it already. Got no problems with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
And that language hasn't changed. Nor any requirement. Once you have seen and read the actual document, that would be a good time to state a conclusion, rather than jump to an unfounded assumption.
Okay, I'll offer my opinion when I see it. Might resurrect this thread then.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:46pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Are in!

Umpire Manual part look good including using stills of the DVD.

There is no mention of moving toward the line on a swipe tag at 1B, just adjust position as was previously noted.

How would someone in the general public (i.e. me) get the new ASA rule book? (If they are available for puchase by anyone, that is.)

If I help my friends on their city league team or play on my other friends' social club team, I'd like to get myself more familiar with the differences in ASA SP and the NFHS FP I'm more accustomed to.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 09:00pm.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Apparently, the rules books are no longer for sale. (See here.) It seems you have to register as an umpire or else register a team to get the book.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Apparently, the rules books are no longer for sale. (See here.) It seems you have to register as an umpire or else register a team to get the book.
Actually, ASA didn't sell rule books before, either. But you could get "training material" which included the rules. Apparently, that is not yet or no longer available
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:40pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Skahtboi: I didn't realize that the ASA Rule bookw as for teams & umpires-only. I guess I'll just ask our team manager if he'd mind parting with his copy of the rule book. Somebody has to straighten him out on the differences between playing with EPs and substitution/re-entry rules.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball