The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Adjustments behind the plate....

Being a normal sized person 5'-7" and not one of you freakishly tall people 5'-8"+ I find that I can get blocked out a sometimes by these prototypical catchers during the pitch (squeezed out etc...) and personally, I adjust to get the best view. So anyways im in a discussion with some D-1 umpires up in Dallas and we are watching a catcher squeeze out one of the umpires working the plate and I say "d@mn I hate when that happens to me" and they just look at me and say just call em balls. DOH! I laughed and thought they were "messing" with me and then they decide to give me a lecture on catcher management and such. (I agreed with them and have done the "hey catch yer blocking my view whisper thing" My only point was that in the manual it states that we shouldn't call balls without trying to adjust and they said once you go down and set "never ever ever ever move".... any thoughts?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I've been of the opinion that I am not the catcher's coach. As the umpire, I want her to do whatever she has been told to get the pitcher to throw a strike/get the batter out. If I have to 'adjust' my position as a means to that end, I'm going to do so.

A long time ago, I was 'instructed' that if F2 dropped the pitch, ball it. If she can't catch it, how could it have been in the strike zone. I have since pitched that advice. If I have a ball in the strike zone, it's a strike. Why would I take a strike off the board. Same with catcher positioning. Why ball a pitch when the catcher is hugging the inside corner? I understand slot mechanics, but we are getting paid to call strikes, not telling the catcher where to set up.

No, I don't like moving. But since our goal, as well as their's is to get outs, then why would we want to discourage the catcher from setting up where she thinks she can best achieve that goal?

If I'm the BU, and I'm set up in A, B, or C, and the nearest player has 're-postitioned' so now I can't see everything I need to see, I'm moving as well.

Let the players play and adjust to their position.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

it depends. Yeah call em balls once you set and they block you (late setting/moving catcher). You have no choice. Some times you have to adjust if you have time. Depending on the catcher, sometimes I will go to a GD stance, which NCAA allows, ASA does not. I think each situation is unique. A lot of times, yes, just call balls. When the catcher asks where it missed tell her "I dont know, you screened me out".
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught to set a little higher in these situations; keeping in mind that the bottom of your zone may be affected. This does not take into account for the catcher moving very late and taking away the slot. Can't really adjust then, so there's no other choice but to call a ball.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I was taught to set a little higher in these situations; keeping in mind that the bottom of your zone may be affected. This does not take into account for the catcher moving very late and taking away the slot. Can't really adjust then, so there's no other choice but to call a ball.
I was'nt taught anything. [which BTW was your job, if I remember correctly]However, I just switch sides. If the batter is right handed, and catcher tall,
batter crowding plate, making your view tough, switch to other slot. Do same
on left-handed batter.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Being a normal sized person 5'-7" and not one of you freakishly tall people 5'-8"+ I find that I can get blocked out a sometimes by these prototypical catchers during the pitch (squeezed out etc...) and personally, I adjust to get the best view. So anyways im in a discussion with some D-1 umpires up in Dallas and we are watching a catcher squeeze out one of the umpires working the plate and I say "d@mn I hate when that happens to me" and they just look at me and say just call em balls. DOH! I laughed and thought they were "messing" with me and then they decide to give me a lecture on catcher management and such. (I agreed with them and have done the "hey catch yer blocking my view whisper thing" My only point was that in the manual it states that we shouldn't call balls without trying to adjust and they said once you go down and set "never ever ever ever move".... any thoughts?
BTW, U really 5'-7"? Don't look that tall.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
BTW, U really 5'-7"? Don't look that tall.
lol was waiting for that!!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Being a heel-toe guy I try to "ease" up higher when the back of the head hinders me... but after doing this 100 times the hamstrings start to sing. I might consider doing GD like you. or maybe i could just get a barstool to sit on.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Being a heel-toe guy I try to "ease" up higher when the back of the head hinders me... but after doing this 100 times the hamstrings start to sing. I might consider doing GD like you. or maybe i could just get a barstool to sit on.
If your hammies are sore from this, try to not lean as far forward as you are...keep a more straight back (while maintaining a slight forward lean).
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You may be leaning forward too far, as SRW noted.
Regardless of that, you need to stretch those hammies more.
Though, sitting on a barstool, exercising the elbow, can take the pain away too.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So anyways im in a discussion with some D-1 umpires up in Dallas and we are watching a catcher squeeze out one of the umpires working the plate and I say "d@mn I hate when that happens to me" and they just look at me and say just call em balls. DOH!

OK, when were you in Dallas talking to some D-1 umpires. I live in the Dallas area and would like to know who told you that. You can email me if you like
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
OK, when were you in Dallas talking to some D-1 umpires. I live in the Dallas area and would like to know who told you that. You can email me if you like
Was at the McKinney NCAA camp last month.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
If your hammies are sore from this, try to not lean as far forward as you are...keep a more straight back (while maintaining a slight forward lean).
Was talking more about being down all the way and set... then having the catchers head in the way and having to ease up (slowly) and over to see. But yeah I probably need to stretch (it never hurts to stretch)
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(it never hurts to stretch)
Want to bet? It hurts EVERY time I stretch but I think that is being overweight and getting old
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Want to bet? It hurts EVERY time I stretch but I think that is being overweight and getting old
yeah I know how you feel