The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Just had our state league rules interpretation meeting here in MN. We do a few mechanics different from the 5-man Fed manual ...

1. Punts - Umpire lines up in backfield (saves him from dodging players running downfield - similar to nfl a few yrs ago)

2. PAT and FG attempts (inside 15 yd line) - Umpire goes underneath post with back judge. (this keeps the goal line covered on LJ's side if a fake/fumbled snap/etc)

3. First down is gained inbounds near the sidelines - wings are supposed to stop clock immediately...i had always been taught the "wind twice then kill clock" to indicate play ended inbounds. This stops clock immediately and saves time for offense. Wing can then indicate to R to start clock at RFP.

Wanted to get your guys' thoughts and see if any other states/associations have other or similar mechanics changes
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mnref
Just had our state league rules interpretation meeting here in MN. We do a few mechanics different from the 5-man Fed manual ...

1. Punts - Umpire lines up in backfield (saves him from dodging players running downfield - similar to nfl a few yrs ago)

2. PAT and FG attempts (inside 15 yd line) - Umpire goes underneath post with back judge. (this keeps the goal line covered on LJ's side if a fake/fumbled snap/etc)

3. First down is gained inbounds near the sidelines - wings are supposed to stop clock immediately...i had always been taught the "wind twice then kill clock" to indicate play ended inbounds. This stops clock immediately and saves time for offense. Wing can then indicate to R to start clock at RFP.

Wanted to get your guys' thoughts and see if any other states/associations have other or similar mechanics changes
REPLY: In NJ...(1) Never have even considered this. I haven't heard from any U's about any problems banging into players running downfield. (2) We used to do this too...until the state association told us to stop. They were concerned about liability if the snapper gets hit. Somehow, they either didn't believe the U could see it properly from under the post, or (more likely) didn't believe that we could convince an attorney/jury that we could. So we're back to the Fed mechanic. (3) Never heard of anyone doing this. We still wind then kill in such situations.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

At least my in area of (NY), we agree with Bob,
(1) never been tried. We don't do this in NCAA either. NFL terminated the trial has having no benefit.
(2) don't do this in either NF or NCAA games.
(3) Still wind and kill in both NF and NCAA games. IMHO, the time lost is minscule. However, last season at least in NCAA games, for obivous first downs, it was asked of us to just kill the clock as as we would do if it occurred in the center of the field unless the progress spot was right at the sideline. Still will do that this season.

[Edited by Theisey on Aug 11th, 2004 at 03:24 PM]
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

I like the idea of number 2 but I don't really like 1 and 3.

For #3, If the NFL doesn't stop the clock immediately then why should we? They focus the entire game around getting the offense to score so if it was that beneficial they would just stop it immediately. Similar idea with #1.