The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post

Next up - the ridiculousness of NOT going to all grey slacks...
How about because you look like a 1st grader who has pissed their pants when you sweat?

How about the accompanying dark shirt helps the umpire sweat even more?

How about the lack of contrast between the powder blue shirt and heathers makes for a very dull and unauthoritive look on the field?

Of course, just my opinion. You can disagree, but you cannot tell me I'm wrong.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
...So, what's the downside making this an issue to you, Tom?
I commented on it because in my view it is a silly rule change since nobody uses white.

And, as you explain the rationale, I am even more convinced it is silly. Somebody has a well-intentioned bug up their butt over the choices other people are making. As I said originally, get a life. Either that, or go after the real safety issue in the men's game - hot bats.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...You can disagree, but you cannot tell me I'm wrong.
Sure I can... you're wrong. See? That wasn't hard!
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I commented on it because in my view it is a silly rule change since nobody uses white.
Actually, you would be wrong. I saw just as many white balls, maybe more, than optic yellow in the past year.

Quote:
And, as you explain the rationale, I am even more convinced it is silly. Somebody has a well-intentioned bug up their butt over the choices other people are making. As I said originally, get a life. Either that, or go after the real safety issue in the men's game - hot bats.
They did. They want to make Gorilla Gold legal so the players won't have to carry around the syringes they use to inject it into the glove
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, you would be wrong. I saw just as many white balls, maybe more, than optic yellow in the past year....
I said several times my comments were from a JO fastpitch perspective only.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said several times my comments were from a JO fastpitch perspective only.
But the rule change applies to all, not just JO.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about because you look like a 1st grader who has pissed their pants when you sweat?
At times, yes.

Quote:
Depends on when they're worn. It's best to pick your spots for these.

Quote:
How about the lack of contrast between the powder blue shirt and heathers makes for a very dull and unauthoritive look on the field?
I believe uniform colors have less impact on this than athleticism and how an official carries him/herself on the field.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I believe uniform colors have less impact on this than athleticism and how an official carries him/herself on the field.
This last statement is something I must disagree with. While the uniform does not make the umpire better, a professional appearance does greatly influence how others will perceive you. Ask any soldier, "does polishing your boots make you a better soldier?" The answer is, "yes, because I polish my boots." There is NOTHING like a sharp-looking umpire on the field, and while a sharp uniform will not make your calls better or give you a greater understanding of the rules, it will influence how you are perceived on the field.

I'm no fashion expert. I leave that to my wife. However, the heather grey and powder blue is such a bland combination that it gives the umpire zero presence on the field. On the other hand, I'd hate to have ASA completely change up the uniforms. I've already got over $750 invested in shirts, shorts and pants alone, and I'm not about to spend it all again.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not sweat. That's real urine, cuz I just found out I'm gonna get to see SRW's flying safe sells from 58 feet away (that's assuming I trail the runner at least two feet up the line).
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Of course, just my opinion. You can disagree, but you cannot tell me I'm wrong.
I can disagree and tell you you are wrong.

There is nothing inherently unauthoritative about heather gray.

If there is anything ruining the "authoritative look" that would be power blue, which is associated with a baby.

Gray is used at every level just fine.

All one has to do is google an umpire in gray vs blue.. its not even close in what looks better.

If you want a dead on authoritative look, go black shirt, gray pants.

there is no comparison.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:32pm.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, you would be wrong. I saw just as many white balls, maybe more, than optic yellow in the past year.
Get away from the coed beer leagues irish, there is real ball being played.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
This last statement is something I must disagree with. While the uniform does not make the umpire better, a professional appearance does greatly influence how others will perceive you. Ask any soldier, "does polishing your boots make you a better soldier?" The answer is, "yes, because I polish my boots." There is NOTHING like a sharp-looking umpire on the field, and while a sharp uniform will not make your calls better or give you a greater understanding of the rules, it will influence how you are perceived on the field.

I'm no fashion expert. I leave that to my wife. However, the heather grey and powder blue is such a bland combination that it gives the umpire zero presence on the field. On the other hand, I'd hate to have ASA completely change up the uniforms. I've already got over $750 invested in shirts, shorts and pants alone, and I'm not about to spend it all again.
I didn't mean to imply that looking sharp and professional wasn't important. I lump that into "how an official carries him/herself on the field". My mistake for the lack of clarity. I just don't think that color plays nearly as important a role as other factors, like the ones you point out yourself. IMO, looking sharp, like good judgement, hustle, and rules knowledge, should be a given for anyone wanting to be good at what we do. But it's only the starting point. As I'm sure you know, dealing with the unexpected and good game management is where our bones are made; regardless of how much your sweaty grey pants and powder blue shirt fail to compliment each other.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I can disagree and tell you you are wrong.

There is nothing inherently unauthoritative about heather gray.
Hey, McCain, or are you Obama? Doesn't make any difference. Nice try, but I did not say the heathers were unauthoritative (thank you for spelling correction), did I. I stated an opinion that the combination with the powder blue shirt were.

Quote:
If there is anything ruining the "authoritative look" that would be power blue, which is associated with a baby.
Yet, the powder (you're welcome) blue shirt is still the official uniform shirt for many baseball and softball associations around the country, if not the world. We must be a bunch of panty wastes.

Quote:
Gray is used at every level just fine.
Sure, if you don't sweat.

Quote:
All one has to do is google an umpire in gray vs blue.. its not even close in what looks better.
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are quite a few that disagree. And if I remember correctly, the last time those two fought, the blue won.

Quote:
If you want a dead on authoritative look, go black shirt, gray pants.
Again, I disagree, but just as you are, I am allowed. And if that is THE look, why is it your heroes where so many different colored shirts throughout the season?
Quote:

there is no comparison.
A plate jacket. How cute! BTW, I've never understood the purpose of putting a number on an umpire's uniform. I thought the umpire was supposed to be invisible, so why a need to (for what I'm sure your answer is gonig to be) identify them?
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...We must be a bunch of panty wastes. ...
Since you guys are exchanging spelling corrections, I thought I'd toss this in...

Unless you are talking about your laundry, the word is pantywaist.

BTW, on wade's pic of the MLB umpire... it is the point that gives him the "authoritative look", so... nevermind...
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since you guys are exchanging spelling corrections, I thought I'd toss this in...

Unless you are talking about your laundry, the word is pantywaist.

BTW, on wade's pic of the MLB umpire... it is the point that gives him the "authoritative look", so... nevermind...
It's the MLB's authoritative version of "pull my finger."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.