The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
proper position on passed ball

What is your preferred position to be in when you are PU and there is a passed ball that goes to the backstop and richochets more to the third base side and a runner is coming home? I always liked to circle inside the diamond and get a 90 there but a friend of mine said it is too easy for the pitcher to block your view from there. If I stay outside toward the normal calling area, it seems like I am in harms way of the throw. Third base extended wouldn't give me the best look either because also of being possibly blocked, poor depth perception and no 90. Any thoughts? Dave
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Third base extended wouldn't give me the best look ...
If the ball is somewhere near first base extended and the pitcher will probably be right in front of the plate, then I think third base extended would be a good 90º mark from where the ball will be coming and from where the tag will be applied.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
What is your preferred position to be in when you are PU and there is a passed ball that goes to the backstop and richochets more to the third base side and a runner is coming home? I always liked to circle inside the diamond and get a 90 there but a friend of mine said it is too easy for the pitcher to block your view from there. If I stay outside toward the normal calling area, it seems like I am in harms way of the throw. Third base extended wouldn't give me the best look either because also of being possibly blocked, poor depth perception and no 90. Any thoughts? Dave
There is no proper predefined position. 3BE isn't bad if the fielder taking the throw which may not always be F1 remains on the infield side of the plate to receive the ball. However, if they move to block the runner, you will not see the play and that action by the fielder may not occur until the throw is received.

I would think your best bet would be moving to the front of the LHBB as a starting point and adjusting your position based on the defender's location to the plate if the ball is behind the plate on the 3B side. However, the more the ball moves up the 3b line, the more likely it is you will get a good look if you stay toward the back of the RHBB and adjust to the line of the throw.

But these are possibilities we can toss around all day. When this occurs, you are going to have about one second to decide which way to move and there are so many variables (avoiding the catcher, finding the ball, runner's approach, covering defender, location of the batter) involved, I don't think anyone can provide you with a "given" mechanic for such a play.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
When this occurs, you are going to have about one second to decide which way to move and there are so many variables (avoiding the catcher, finding the ball, runner's approach, covering defender, location of the batter) involved, I don't think anyone can provide you with a "given" mechanic for such a play.
Sure they can, it is as follows:
Be where you need to be in order to see the play, as close to 90 degrees to the tag as possible, without getting in the way of the throw, runner or covering defender.

See that was easy, and it will work for every scenario!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Sure they can, it is as follows:
Be where you need to be in order to see the play,
wonder if i have time to run around into the stands?.... thats the best view!!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
wonder if i have time to run around into the stands?.... thats the best view!!
Nah... Dugouts or outfield. See signature.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.