View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
What is your preferred position to be in when you are PU and there is a passed ball that goes to the backstop and richochets more to the third base side and a runner is coming home? I always liked to circle inside the diamond and get a 90 there but a friend of mine said it is too easy for the pitcher to block your view from there. If I stay outside toward the normal calling area, it seems like I am in harms way of the throw. Third base extended wouldn't give me the best look either because also of being possibly blocked, poor depth perception and no 90. Any thoughts? Dave
There is no proper predefined position. 3BE isn't bad if the fielder taking the throw which may not always be F1 remains on the infield side of the plate to receive the ball. However, if they move to block the runner, you will not see the play and that action by the fielder may not occur until the throw is received.

I would think your best bet would be moving to the front of the LHBB as a starting point and adjusting your position based on the defender's location to the plate if the ball is behind the plate on the 3B side. However, the more the ball moves up the 3b line, the more likely it is you will get a good look if you stay toward the back of the RHBB and adjust to the line of the throw.

But these are possibilities we can toss around all day. When this occurs, you are going to have about one second to decide which way to move and there are so many variables (avoiding the catcher, finding the ball, runner's approach, covering defender, location of the batter) involved, I don't think anyone can provide you with a "given" mechanic for such a play.