The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
a HS state tournament on a field with a collapsible portable fence?

strange .... what state?
If it's good enough for the WCWS and DII Championship, it should be good enough for HS.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Texas plays its state champioships at McCombs Field at the University of Texas in Austin.
Florida plays the semi-finals and finals at the ISF Stadium in Plant City. This year the Olympic team's Bound for Beijing tour was there on Saturday night and the FHSAA State Series began Monday.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Our fields do have permanent fences, only problem is that they are set at 280'
The fields are used for more than girls fastpitch. The portables go up when they play. Dave
We have a complex in Portland at Delta Park that bkbjones and/or SRW may have been to that is like this--the fields are used a lot for adult SP and temporary fences have been put up for HS games occasionally in the past.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
We have a complex in Portland at Delta Park that bkbjones and/or SRW may have been to that is like this--the fields are used a lot for adult SP and temporary fences have been put up for HS games occasionally in the past.
Yah, what turned out to be almost the last game I ever worked in this lifetime was at Delta Park in July 2006 on Budweiser. For you jokers out there, Budweiser is the name of the field. BuggBob was on the dish. Nine days after that game, I had my sternum sawed open...
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Yah, what turned out to be almost the last game I ever worked in this lifetime was at Delta Park in July 2006 on Budweiser. For you jokers out there, Budweiser is the name of the field. BuggBob was on the dish. Nine days after that game, I had my sternum sawed open...
Do you name all your fields, or just the ones where you need a post-game adult beverage?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

sternum sawing....yikes. i hope i never get old
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
sternum sawing....yikes. i hope i never get old
It ain't for wimps ... but it beats the hell out of the alternative!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Do you name all your fields, or just the ones where you need a post-game adult beverage?
Nah, that's down in Portland. Up here we don't have enough left that haven't been torn down for more commie kickball fields to actually name them.

Up there, Budweiser is in the same complex as is the Pepsi field, which is where I almost passed out from drinking too much diet Pepsi and not enough water when it was about 180 degrees one fine summer day.

Also in the same complex are BFE Southeast and BFE Northwest. I once had a partner's life threatened out there in BFESE. But I thought when one of the FANS wanted kick his @$$ too AND called him a motorforker without saying it under his breath, that was WAY out of line. So I called in Duffy to restore the peace.

Fan got to leave the complex for the rest of the tournament. I got to work mid-morning Sunday (we taught 3BU three-man on the fly since she had never even seen it before!), My partner got to sleep in on Sunday since he got paid Saturday night.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Nah, that's down in Portland. Up here we don't have enough left that haven't been torn down for more commie kickball fields to actually name them.

Up there, Budweiser is in the same complex as is the Pepsi field, which is where I almost passed out from drinking too much diet Pepsi and not enough water when it was about 180 degrees one fine summer day.

Also in the same complex are BFE Southeast and BFE Northwest. I once had a partner's life threatened out there in BFESE. But I thought when one of the FANS wanted kick his @$$ too AND called him a motorforker without saying it under his breath, that was WAY out of line. So I called in Duffy to restore the peace.

Fan got to leave the complex for the rest of the tournament. I got to work mid-morning Sunday (we taught 3BU three-man on the fly since she had never even seen it before!), My partner got to sleep in on Sunday since he got paid Saturday night.
BFE NW is now Ray DeMarini Field, as in the guy who made the bats. He was from Portland, for those who don't know.

At that park I've worked HS on BFE SE, Pepsi, Bud, and the Portland Marathon (the closest I'll ever get to a marathon). I try to avoid it, though--the traffic can be a b1tch at rush hour.