The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Then your doing it wrong. In the words of just about every clinician I have ever heard "Every pitch is something, so you better call it something" paraphrasing from some, this is a PG board so i can't say what a few have told me

Ball calls should be verbalized but just loud enough for those that need to hear it, ie catcher and batter.
You might be working one umpire games, so that might be sufficient in your games. We work all two man here; and, as a base umpire, I sure as he!! think I need to hear it, too.

If you are verbalizing "ball" (and, yes, it is necessary), then verbalize it loud enough for the base umpire(s) to know the count, too!! And, here's an interesting side benefit; not only will the infielders know (and stop asking) the count, but you can be darn sure the pitcher should be able to hear it, too.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
You might be working one umpire games, so that might be sufficient in your games. We work all two man here; and, as a base umpire, I sure as he!! think I need to hear it, too.

If you are verbalizing "ball" (and, yes, it is necessary), then verbalize it loud enough for the base umpire(s) to know the count, too!! And, here's an interesting side benefit; not only will the infielders know (and stop asking) the count, but you can be darn sure the pitcher should be able to hear it, too.
Well, I don't verbalize "ball" that loudly. Loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear it clearly, and probably loud enough for the pitcher and BU to hear it as well.

However, when I call "strike," it's most certainly heard well into the outfield and beyond. If my BU can't figure it out, then BU has more issues than just keeping track of the count.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Well, I don't verbalize "ball" that loudly. Loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear it clearly, and probably loud enough for the pitcher and BU to hear it as well.

However, when I call "strike," it's most certainly heard well into the outfield and beyond. If my BU can't figure it out, then BU has more issues than just keeping track of the count.
Thats one way to keep the right fielder in the game
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Thats one way to keep the right fielder in the game
Well, I'll admit that it started as overcompensation for being a young umpire (started at age 15). Back then, I felt that a loud voice would show confidence and possibly keep coaches off my back. I was dead wrong.

Since then, I've toned it down A LOT, reserving the loud voice for only selling safe/out calls, and called strikes.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

I know what you mean Steve, but I have never had an issue with my partner knowing the count. When my right arm goes up in a hammer you turn that strike wheel, when it doesn't you turn the ball wheel. And I am normally loud enough that the pitcher and BU can hear, my point was you don't have to yell ball, or say it as loud as a strike call, but you should say it and loud enough "so those who need to hear can hear it" as it was put to me in a clinic. Funny my partner has no issue knowing on a swinging strike it wasn't a ball, again that right arm in the air is pretty unmistakable. Ok it's a joke before you pounce on me cause the BU can see them swing. And about the count, I give it as instructed also, on the 3rd pitch and everytime that the next pitch could end the at bat X-2, 3-X but I have seen a lot of umpires that don't lately....seems to add to the questions from everyone on the count.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

ASA says to call balls, so I call balls.

If you are working for ASA and you don't call "balls", you are not working the plate properly. You should fix yourself so that you can go to the next level.

If you are working NSA and you don't call "balls".. well you are working NSA, so who cares.

If you are thinking about working a higher level of ball, such as ASA or NCAA, you might get in the habit now, but otherwise, it just doesnt matter.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wade, I'm glad you're back. I've missed your direct, blunt, & honest posts.