The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Timing is everything (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49398-timing-everything.html)

bkbjones Sat Oct 18, 2008 08:32am

Timing is everything

Timing is everything -- to a great extent. Good timing leads to good calls, is best done without a timer on the fence :D, yada yada. You all know that, right? Right.

Of course one easy way to figure you are calling balls and strikes too early is when you hear the thump of the ball into the catcher's mitt about halfway through your hawaa strike call. Slow down, wait for the thwack into the mitt, then hawaa. In a worst case scenario, you call it a ball.;)

Then there is junior high/middle school ball. Two seconds or so after the ball eludes the "catcher" (using the word to describe the position, not the player), the batter swings -- long after you have called the pitch a ball. It's NOT a practice swing, these girls would topple if they took a practice swing.

I'm tempted to start not making a verbal call on a ball. I'd like your thoughts.

SRW Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:54am

If the young lady is swinging that late at the pitch that's a million miles past her (and F2), is she really "striking at the pitch?"

I know what you mean, and have had that frequently lately as well. I usually stick with my "ball" call, then reiterate the count immediately after the dust settles. Only once this year have I had a DC say, "Blue, she swung at that!" My reply: "Coach, the ball was at the backstop when she swung. -repeat count-"

youngump Sun Oct 19, 2008 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 543871)
If the young lady is swinging that late at the pitch that's a million miles past her (and F2), is she really "striking at the pitch?"

I know what you mean, and have had that frequently lately as well. I usually stick with my "ball" call, then reiterate the count immediately after the dust settles. Only once this year have I had a DC say, "Blue, she swung at that!" My reply: "Coach, the ball was at the backstop when she swung. -repeat count-"

You get enough strikes in your JH games that you'd give one up? :D I want those teams. ;)
________
LIVE SEX

wadeintothem Sun Oct 19, 2008 09:08pm

Sounds to me like your timing is off. I've had many balls bounce of the back stop before I make my call.

Still call balls and slow down.

robbie Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:36am

I NEVER verbalize "ball."

DaveASA/FED Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 544143)

Then your doing it wrong. In the words of just about every clinician I have ever heard "Every pitch is something, so you better call it something" paraphrasing from some, this is a PG board so i can't say what a few have told me :D

Ball calls should be verbalized but just loud enough for those that need to hear it, ie catcher and batter.

MichaelVA2000 Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:32pm

Quote:

Why? Isn't it important enough? The instructors at all the clinics I've been to want the ball calls announced?

robbie Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:55pm

Interesting comments and questions?

I have only attended NSA clinics and done NSA tourneys. Have never been corrected or instructed otherwise.

SethPDX Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 544184)

I have only attended NSA clinics and done NSA tourneys. Have never been corrected or instructed otherwise.

That clears that up. The ASA and NFHS manuals both say something like, "Balls are not nothings, so make a verbal call."

(But don't fist pump, wave your hands, etc.;))

Dakota Mon Oct 20, 2008 02:06pm

Doesn't the NSA rule book have a rule that starts something like "A ball is called by the umpire when..."

How do you "call" a ball if you never say anything?

NCASAUmp Mon Oct 20, 2008 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 544189)
Doesn't the NSA rule book have a rule that starts something like "A ball is called by the umpire when..."

How do you "call" a ball if you never say anything?

In ASA, how do you "call" a pitch that hits the plate in SP with stealing?

For the record, I do verbalize a pitch that results in a ball.

SethPDX Mon Oct 20, 2008 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 544193)
In ASA, how do you "call" a pitch that hits the plate in SP with stealing?

"Hit the plate!";):D

Skahtboi Mon Oct 20, 2008 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 544184)

From the NSA rule book:

Sec. 8 A ball is called by the umpire:
a. For each pitch, which does not enter the strike zone, or touches
home plate, which is not hit or swung at by the batter.
b. For each illegally pitched ball not hit or swung at by the batter.
c. When a pitch hits the batter outside of the strike zone.
d. When the catcher fails to return the ball directly to the pitcher as
required in Rule 6, Sec. 3 e.
e. When the pitcher fails to pitch within five (5) seconds.
f. For each excessive warm-up pitch (See Rule 6, Sec. 7).
g. When the pitcher attempts a quick return pitch, the pitcher shall
be given a warning.
EFFECT: Rule 7, Sec. 6 a-g. The ball is dead and baserunners
may not advance.

Note the words in red. "A ball is called...." It should always be verbalized. Silence is calling nothing.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Oct 20, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

That may not have been something you wanted to post here. ;)

bkbjones Mon Oct 20, 2008 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 544194)
"Hit the plate!";):D

And in SP with stealing, two double fist pumps. :D:D