The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Soccer is, of course, the No. 1 youth participation sport in the country about four million kids under 18 play in youth leagues and millions more play on their own but Klosterman argues those numbers are misleading.
Yeah, part of that amount is due to ignorance. I love it when I as a parent, "why soccer" and they say, because they believe it is the safest summer sport.

I just laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
As for Mr. Drake, who ran an excellent site and seemed like a great guy, a well-respected poster on the baseball board suggested that soon, no MiLB or MLB exec will care that he has a website...
wow that is hopeful news.
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
I'm a couple days late watching the video. I've been busy trying to convince some people that what we do has some monetary value.

I don't work baseball, so don't know their rules/interps other than what I have read on here. If this happened in a game I am working, I would probably rule safe. I was taught when considering control in these tag situations that if the ball comes out during an act associated with the tag itself, it is not controlled. To me, since the catcher's dive to make the tag was the same dive that dislodged the ball, he is still in the act of tagging the runner. However, I'm always open to enlightenment.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
wow that is hopeful news.
I would love to see the site back and I really wish Rob the best. He seems like a great guy who wants to help all umpires, whatever level they work. Read this thread, though:
Larry Poncino
I wish Tim C. was 100% wrong just this once.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I would love to see the site back and I really wish Rob the best. He seems like a great guy who wants to help all umpires, whatever level they work. Read this thread, though:
Larry Poncino
I wish Tim C. was 100% wrong just this once.
Thanks for the link!

Looks like sewing circle chatter to me.
hmm.. Lets pretend for a second tim is a high school baseball umpire.. oh that's right, he is. Tim knows exactly nothing of the content of Rob's MLB Umpire Evaluations. Give me a break.

What ever happens happens, and is WELL above Tim C's pay grade.

I also wish Rob Drake the best.
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS

Last edited by wadeintothem; Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 10:29pm.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I don't work baseball, so don't know their rules/interps other than what I have read on here. If this happened in a game I am working, I would probably rule safe. I was taught when considering control in these tag situations that if the ball comes out during an act associated with the tag itself, it is not controlled. To me, since the catcher's dive to make the tag was the same dive that dislodged the ball, he is still in the act of tagging the runner. However, I'm always open to enlightenment.
I briefly mentioned this in another post. For those who mistakenly () believe that the fielder must maintain control of the ball after the tag has been made and glove withdrawn, how do you compare that with losing control of a ball "on the transfer" after a force out at a base?

Is the logic not the same? Fielder touching base, catches the ball (out) and then drops it when trying to remove the ball to make a subsequent play.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Don't trust you with the porn, huh?
That must be it!

I did just view the video at home though, where I can watch all of the porn that I want to, and to me it seems to be a very simple call. The umpire got it correct and Soscia got it wrong.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
For those who mistakenly () believe that the fielder must maintain control of the ball after the tag has been made and glove withdrawn,
Hey now, did you sneak in a "and glove withdrawn" when no one was looking and now quantify your mistaken nanosecond tagout/lose ball = out belief?
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Is the logic not the same? Fielder touching base, catches the ball (out) and then drops it when trying to remove the ball to make a subsequent play.
I think the key words here are "subsequent play". I agree there is no length of time to establish control, but there are actions involved with the play itself and subsequent actions that are not. However long it takes the player to finish the former and move on to the latter is how long it takes to convinve me of control.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I think the key words here are "subsequent play". I agree there is no length of time to establish control, but there are actions involved with the play itself and subsequent actions that are not. However long it takes the player to finish the former and move on to the latter is how long it takes to convinve me of control.
Maybe that's the difference in our opinion. I don't look for the control, but lack of it. I'm not looking to be convinced of anything. If a scenario may require a player to "sell" something, then maybe I might need to be convinced s/he is correct, but not normally.
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Maybe that's the difference in our opinion. I don't look for the control, but lack of it. I'm not looking to be convinced of anything. If a scenario may require a player to "sell" something, then maybe I might need to be convinced s/he is correct, but not normally.
Whether you look for lack of control and see it or I look for control and don't see it, we come to the same conclusion - lack of control. You may have to explain the difference more thoroughly.

As far as being convinced, I probably should have said what I need to be convinced of is that any lack of control is due to actions involving a subsequent play. If not convinced, I would not have an out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LLWS Regional Botched Appeal SAump Baseball 14 Tue Aug 12, 2008 07:36pm
Fg attempt botched what happens next??? BoBo Football 10 Mon Nov 05, 2007 04:30pm
Handling "botched" calls... ljudge Football 22 Wed Jun 15, 2005 07:26am
Squeeze play interference? tornado Baseball 4 Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:37am
AP OFF BOTCHED TIP PROPE Basketball 2 Mon Feb 28, 2000 10:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1