The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Post Game Ejection?

My brother had a situation earlier in the week and we discussed it and I had a different view than him so I thought I would post it here and get your opinions.

First of all let me say that we will gladly tell each other if we think the other made a bad call if we are working together or if we are watching each others games (After the fact while we are discussing the game of course and not on the field)

Anyway, he was calling a HS SP game and after the game was over the coach of the losing team told him that he owed her girls an apology for losing the game for them. The game was over and they played a JV game after. I thought every close play he made was good although one was really close and every rating he has ever gotten says he needs to sell calls better because he couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst so the call was not sold but just rather given.

I told him I would have ejected her. He said the game was over so what would be the point.

My questions: Can you eject a coach after the game is over but before you leave the field of play? Would it matter that there was a JV game after?

NOTE: We live in a state where an ejected coach pays a fine.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
Can you eject a coach after the game is over but before you leave the field of play?
Yes. NFHS 10-1-2
Quote:
Would it matter that there was a JV game after?
No.
Quote:
NOTE: We live in a state where an ejected coach pays a fine.
Shouldn't even enter your mind. That is the state association's doing.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Since the umpire's authority extends to the time they leave the field, your brother could have ejected the coach. (See Dakota's post for the rule reference)

The point would be that the coach would then be on the hook for the fine and learn that just because the game is over, does not give him/her the right to spout off at the umpires.

Would I have ejected for a comment like that as I was leaving the field....probably not...but that's my opinion.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

With that said, Has anyone ever done it?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Since the umpire's authority extends to the time they leave the field, your brother could have ejected the coach. (See Dakota's post for the rule reference)

The point would be that the coach would then be on the hook for the fine and learn that just because the game is over, does not give him/her the right to spout off at the umpires.

Would I have ejected for a comment like that as I was leaving the field....probably not...but that's my opinion.
I think we can all agree that it would still depend. If an adult said that to me in a private conversation, I suspect I would have a similar response. Something like I would, as soon as heard him apologize to his athletic director for taking their money to coach the team that way. Then we would discover if he understood the ignorance of his remark, and how it felt.

If he said it loud enough that anyone overheard it, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to eject. He's a teacher, and he's teaching unsportmanlike behavior; said loud enough, it was clearly an attempt to incite a response from his team, parents, and fans.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I think we can all agree that it would still depend. If an adult said that to me in a private conversation, I suspect I would have a similar response. Something like I would, as soon as heard him apologize to his athletic director for taking their money to coach the team that way. Then we would discover if he understood the ignorance of his remark, and how it felt.

If he said it loud enough that anyone overheard it, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to eject. He's a teacher, and he's teaching unsportmanlike behavior; said loud enough, it was clearly an attempt to incite a response from his team, parents, and fans.

Well said.

Suppose that you had already left the field, and while you are walking outside the fence towards your car the coach (still on the field) goes into her tirade focused on you? Really happened to one of our newer guys last weekend.

What do you think? I will tell later what happened (no, it wasn't me but was one of my newer guys).
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did it in Adult Slowpitch. No quite the same but game was over and I hadn't left the field yet.

Now that I think about it did it twice-both times this year...
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Not that we could/should emulate them....but MLB umpire Brian Gorman tossed Denard Span from Minnesota last night after a game ending called third strike tirade versus the Angels!!

Good for him...even if ya couldn't do it...bring it to someone's attention...that someone is playing a fool!
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I had a post-game ejection this year in hs baseball - apparently it was my fault that many of his pitches bounced to the plate or hit the backstop. He said something loud enough that others heard it and moved/posed in a manner that he probably thought was threatening. gone!
I informed his coach and sent the paperwork in.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
Well said.

Suppose that you had already left the field, and while you are walking outside the fence towards your car the coach (still on the field) goes into her tirade focused on you? Really happened to one of our newer guys last weekend.

What do you think? I will tell later what happened (no, it wasn't me but was one of my newer guys).
That would be a double, secret ejection. I would just report it and let them be surprised when they found out they didn't get away with acting like an ***.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That would be a double, secret ejection. I would just report it and let them be surprised when they found out they didn't get away with acting like an ***.
ooooooooohhhhh... I love it! Thanks for the idea. Does it have to be the same month? Same year? If that's ok, all I can say to our esteemed ejection officer is ... you got mail!
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I've had a coach get themself ejected postgame for similar infractions.
Here in CT, if a coach is ejected, they are not allowed to coach their team's next game, and another certified coach must do so.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Yah, we had a couple of our finest blues who had what turned out to be a premature ejectulation a couple years ago in a HS contest, then had a postmature ejectulation following the forfeiture of said contest by the base umpire, who under the rules at the time had no authority to forfeit the contest.

The head coach and his wife, one of his assistant coaches, were the recipients of the ejections. (Due to the, uh, circumstances which led to the "forfeit," eventually the game was un-forfeited and played to its conclusion. The ejectulations stood, however, and the couple had a lovely picnic while watching the game from the top of a nearby hillock. Another assistant coached the team.)

Oh, I forgot to mention the subjects of the ejectulations are two of our finest umpires.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

Oh, I forgot to mention the subjects of the ejectulations are two of our finest umpires.
Did you association take action against them?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Did you association take action against them?
Nope.