The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJW
What happened with the confiscated bats after the tournament. If the bats are defective, the players/parents could return them to Easton for replacement. Or is the tournament returning the bats en masse for replacement?
Cannot return what you do not own.

The damaged bats should have been claimed by the players/teams after elimination from the tournament or after the tournament was completed.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

PS:
This is the bat we were having issues with. Early reports from OKC was that over 25 of them were pulled from the Gold on Sunday alone.

Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Ya we pulled a bunch of those same bats from the 18U A in Moline. TD said he had 35-40 of them upstairs. Had a few of the black stealths where the barrel moved relative to the handle adn those got tossed too. Had a dad that was NOT happy about that bat he just paid $350 for getting taken, UIC and asst UIC's had fun with him!!
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Wow. This thread has been thoroughly hijacked.
I was thinking the same thing....
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ya we pulled a bunch of those same bats from the 18U A in Moline. TD said he had 35-40 of them upstairs. Had a few of the black stealths where the barrel moved relative to the handle adn those got tossed too. Had a dad that was NOT happy about that bat he just paid $350 for getting taken, UIC and asst UIC's had fun with him!!

I took three out from one team in one game. There's a definite design of manufacturing flaw at Easton.

By the way Dave, did it take you less time to drive home than it did to complet the two plate games you did Thursday and Friday?
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Vegas

I was in Vegas. 10 and 12's B. I had a nice solid week as an umpire and only lost about $75 playing poker all week .I made it a personal POE to work on nipping it in the bud when dealing with coaches. And I did.

Had one in the dugout start *****ing on the 3rd pitch of the game. I did the line up card stroll and handled it nicely and professionally. Not another peep.

Had one pitcher start off the first inng by throwing low. Fans really on me about not calling it . She walked in a couple of runs. I wouldn't give the below the knee strike.
After that inning, everything came up,and that team may have walked one more batter. Me thinks they were just playing me in the first and hoping for that strike....

Got to work with several very good umpires. My games were really mundane. All week I had one on field conversation with a coach,he said I missed the call, a banger at first, and wanted to get a second opinion.

I did get to do the Championship game. So i considered that my second biggest game I've done. A sort of ASA coming out party if you will.

I made my drive home in 7.5 hours with only one bathroom break so I should get some kinda trucker award for that.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

10u National

I also worked the 10u National at Bloomington, Ind. I agree with ASA Blue that if you are offered a National there you will receive not only great Hospatality, and the people will do what they have to and make your tournament a great experience.

ump mac
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Wow. This thread has been thoroughly hijacked.
Really?

What did you wanna talk about? Scores? How little suzie did?

This is about umpire stuff @ nationals.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcumpire
By the way Dave, did it take you less time to drive home than it did to complet the two plate games you did Thursday and Friday?
O real funny....ok I laughed To let everyone else in on the joke, my last two plate games of the tournament (combined) went 5 hours 20 minutes there were 35 runs scored and we played 13 1/2 innings, yes thats right 1 went 6 1/2 the other 7, so no extra inning games just a couple of long drawn out lot of scoring games. You know I just wanted to get good and warm in that plate gear!! No wonder those were my last plate games huh? Worked bases Saturday and Sunday, old Wild Bill wasnt taking a chance on me putting the games behind

Back to OP about experience at Nationals this year:
I think I was on the diamond for the only official protest of the tournament. Short version, F3 fielding a dribbler down 1st base line, it hits the heal of her glove and goes about 2 feet to her left as she is reaching for the ball BR contacts her right foot and spins her she had her hand on the ball when the contact was made, so in our judgement she still had the chance at an out (actually went ahead and threw it and did get the out if it would have continued on)....but we called the INT and sent runner back to 1st...SO what did he protest? He protested our interpertation of the INT rule, he said after F3 contacted the ball and it went away from her there was no longer a chance of INT per the rule. Well we all know that is false, heck even if another fielder has a chance at an out on a muffed ball you can have an out for INT. BUT that was what he protested, well needless to say protest went in our favor and we got back to playing. Other than that and the above listed marathon plate games it was a smooth tournament. One of the best group of umpires I have ever had the honor of working with and it showed with the way the games went. And I have not been to Bloomington, IN for a national yet (even though I am an Indiana guy) but I have to say the two Illinois Nationals I have been to they treat umpires VERY well, I would not hestitate to go to another over there if I am granted the assignment!!
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

For all you guys doing Nationals...no one's mentioned the most important thing...

Did everybody's pants match?

Seriously, how did the whole "buy your pants from us" thing work out. Was there a uniform uniformity among the uniforms? Anybody get busted for not having "official pants"?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
For all you guys doing Nationals...no one's mentioned the most important thing...

Seriously, how did the whole "buy your pants from us" thing work out. Was there a uniform uniformity among the uniforms? Anybody get busted for not having "official pants"?

----- NO-----!!!!!

I scrambled to buy new Fechheimer's myself from ASA properties. They were shipped in plenty of time. Get to the clinic at Nat, and lo and behold, we were informed we wouldn't be "counted against" if we did not have ASA properties Fechheimers. There was supposedly a little more demand than supply.

There were a few pants that were really different in shade. I also referred above to ASA properties Fechheimers and Fechheimers. There is a difference! I had several pair of Fechheimers, but none with "western cut pockets" so I had to get the "official" stuff. All mine were also combos, which are not available through ASA, so I had to buy plate as well as base pants! It seemed the prevailing thought was as long as they are Fechheimers it's ok!

I could have "got away" with what I had, but have no regrets doing as ASA deemed I should do even though I hate those western cut pockets!
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan

Some (a few) were using Honigs etc.. with the excuse that ASA was out of their size pants.

Overall, looked good though.

I'm with ASA intent that we shouldnt be wearing the 14.95 walley world gray pants... but I think heather gray UMPIRE pants should be allowed..

It was a nonissue at our tourney.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
UIC and asst UIC's had fun with him!!
What? Wild Bill had FUN? Hope you emnjoyed him as much as we always do. We're lucky in many regards to have both Malcolm and Wild Bill on hand.

BTW, how was the fight?????
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To let everyone else in on the joke, my last two plate games of the tournament (combined) went 5 hours 20 minutes there were 35 runs scored and we played 13 1/2 innings, yes thats right 1 went 6 1/2 the other 7, so no extra inning games just a couple of long drawn out lot of scoring games. You know I just wanted to get good and warm in that plate gear!! No wonder those were my last plate games huh? Worked bases Saturday and Sunday, old Wild Bill wasnt taking a chance on me putting the games behind
OK, who told Dave he was getting paid by the pitch?
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
OK, who told Dave he was getting paid by the pitch?
You don't?

However, that is a good discussion. How many were paid the minimum permitted by code ($18per game, $25 begining 2009) and who was paid more?