Thread: ASA Nationals
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcumpire
By the way Dave, did it take you less time to drive home than it did to complet the two plate games you did Thursday and Friday?
O real funny....ok I laughed To let everyone else in on the joke, my last two plate games of the tournament (combined) went 5 hours 20 minutes there were 35 runs scored and we played 13 1/2 innings, yes thats right 1 went 6 1/2 the other 7, so no extra inning games just a couple of long drawn out lot of scoring games. You know I just wanted to get good and warm in that plate gear!! No wonder those were my last plate games huh? Worked bases Saturday and Sunday, old Wild Bill wasnt taking a chance on me putting the games behind

Back to OP about experience at Nationals this year:
I think I was on the diamond for the only official protest of the tournament. Short version, F3 fielding a dribbler down 1st base line, it hits the heal of her glove and goes about 2 feet to her left as she is reaching for the ball BR contacts her right foot and spins her she had her hand on the ball when the contact was made, so in our judgement she still had the chance at an out (actually went ahead and threw it and did get the out if it would have continued on)....but we called the INT and sent runner back to 1st...SO what did he protest? He protested our interpertation of the INT rule, he said after F3 contacted the ball and it went away from her there was no longer a chance of INT per the rule. Well we all know that is false, heck even if another fielder has a chance at an out on a muffed ball you can have an out for INT. BUT that was what he protested, well needless to say protest went in our favor and we got back to playing. Other than that and the above listed marathon plate games it was a smooth tournament. One of the best group of umpires I have ever had the honor of working with and it showed with the way the games went. And I have not been to Bloomington, IN for a national yet (even though I am an Indiana guy) but I have to say the two Illinois Nationals I have been to they treat umpires VERY well, I would not hestitate to go to another over there if I am granted the assignment!!