The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Nationals (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46883-asa-nationals.html)

IN ASA BLUE Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:41am

ASA Nationals

Anyone else home from their assignment???

We finished last night (Sat.). Our championship went to an "if" game, couldn't have asked for better.

I worked the 10U in Bloomington, In. Everything from the opening ceremonies held at IU's Assembly Hall to the final game was great. The visitors and convention bureau took really good care of us, making sure we were feed and had plenty to drink. On Friday they even grilled steaks and had baked potatoes...uuuummmm, mmmm!

Coaches were great for the most part. A little chirping here and there, but no major problems. The girls all played great and seemed to really have a good time.

Our UIC & Asst. UIC, Dave Maudsley and Jim Haley were great to work for, couldn't ask for better. They pointed out what you could improve on and always had something positive in their critique.

There were a lot of really good umpires assigned here and I learned a lot from them. I was close to having the least experience and this was my first national assignment. I worked really hard all week, as did most umpires who were there, and was rewarded with the plate assignment for the "if" game which ended up deciding the championship.

It's funny, one of the best memories I will take from the week was an evening a bunch of us spent at a local coin laundry. Sitting around telling stories and jokes while we all did our laundry.

If you every get to go to an assignment in Bloomington, In- TAKE IT !!!They will treat you right and have great facilities.

whiskers_ump Sun Aug 03, 2008 01:30pm

Finished up in Sulphur, La., the NAFA 18U. Germantown
Tenn won.

Had a good tournament and worked with one of the members
of this board. TEXASBLOC. Damn good umpire, judgment
and mechanics. Also a nice individual.

Learned couple new rules.

1. If a pitcher changes her delivery when throwing the changeup,
an umpire cannot call a runner out for leaving early.

2. First touch is a Bull Sh*t rule. Could not find the BS rule in
my book.

Really not much unusual. Had a catch and carry that cost the
catching team a run when the fielder went into dugout with the ball.

Had a coach argue a safe call in a 1-0 game at thrid. Unusual because
the player called safe was her own.

Banger at 3rd, runner called safe, coach comes out hollaring, "how
can you make that call?" "Coach, that is your runner, and I can change
the call, and can eject you if you come out here yelling again."
She was so embarrased. Still telling me she was sorry when I
left for home.

Turned down the Championship game. Had to get home for my 46th
wedding anniversary.

JEL Sun Aug 03, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump

wedding anniversary.

Geez glen.
Do you think it might last? Congrats on that. We usually spend our anniversaries on the ballfield somewhere!

12B Southern was bit dis-organized at first, also had 20 umpires for a 16 team tournament which kinda cut into the game totals. It seem that another National didn't get the participants, so those blues were moved to the 12B.

My very first game, bottom of first inning, watching pitcher warm-ups I had to take a poll amongst myself. This gal was throwing with her elbow tight against her side, and the balance of the arm was in a complete horizontal position! My quandry (not reall a quandry, but time to think) was Do I tell coach now? of course I decided no quickly, do I ignore? of corse I couldn't do that either, so the first pitch was IP, and the second, and after the third the coach finally wanted a chat. I explained the rule and wasn't really sure he understood. After about 14 more IP's (and I did let a very few pass) pitcher was pulled. He tried again in a later inning, but IP,IP,IP etc.

Of course we scarred her for life, the UIC, two other blues who called it, as well as couple of the NUS guys! (UIC sent a video out to them). You see, they had played over 180 games this year "AND THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CALLED!" (whats up Texas?)

Other than the initial tournament start (really pre-tournament), and not as much communication as I would have liked, (never met, or even saw the Umpire Coordinater) the only bad things were the heat, and the motel. Wednesday morning, and I had the early game, the water vanished at the motel! No shower, couldn't flush, then I go and get the side arm hurler so I could have a controversial, run rule game for my first outing!

THe Parks and Rec folks were great. We had all we needed, but no steak and potatoes! Food and drinks were always availeable, as well as a washer and dryer at the park it the umpire area, shower, towels and all the needed soaps and stuff.

All in all, it was a very good time. I'm ready fo 2009!

whiskers_ump Sun Aug 03, 2008 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
Geez glen.
Do you think it might last? Congrats on that. We usually spend our anniversaries on the ballfield somewhere!

12B Southern was bit dis-organized at first, also had 20 umpires for a 16 team tournament which kinda cut into the game totals. It seem that another National didn't get the participants, so those blues were moved to the 12B.

My very first game, bottom of first inning, watching pitcher warm-ups I had to take a poll amongst myself. This gal was throwing with her elbow tight against her side, and the balance of the arm was in a complete horizontal position! My quandry (not reall a quandry, but time to think) was Do I tell coach now? of course I decided no quickly, do I ignore? of corse I couldn't do that either, so the first pitch was IP, and the second, and after the third the coach finally wanted a chat. I explained the rule and wasn't really sure he understood. After about 14 more IP's (and I did let a very few pass) pitcher was pulled. He tried again in a later inning, but IP,IP,IP etc.

Of course we scarred her for life, the UIC, two other blues who called it, as well as couple of the NUS guys! (UIC sent a video out to them). You see, they had played over 180 games this year "AND THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CALLED!" (whats up Texas?)

Other than the initial tournament start (really pre-tournament), and not as much communication as I would have liked, (never met, or even saw the Umpire Coordinater) the only bad things were the heat, and the motel. Wednesday morning, and I had the early game, the water vanished at the motel! No shower, couldn't flush, then I go and get the side arm hurler so I could have a controversial, run rule game for my first outing!

THe Parks and Rec folks were great. We had all we needed, but no steak and potatoes! Food and drinks were always availeable, as well as a washer and dryer at the park it the umpire area, shower, towels and all the needed soaps and stuff.

All in all, it was a very good time. I'm ready fo 2009!

First time in 12 years that I was home on time.

Texasbock Sun Aug 03, 2008 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Finished up in Sulphur, La., the NAFA 18U. Germantown
Tenn won.

Had a good tournament and worked with one of the members
of this board. TEXASBLOC. Damn good umpire, judgment
and mechanics. Also a nice individual.

Learned couple new rules.

1. If a pitcher changes her delivery when throwing the changeup,
an umpire cannot call a runner out for leaving early.

2. First touch is a Bull Sh*t rule. Could not find the BS rule in
my book.

Really not much unusual. Had a catch and carry that cost the
catching team a run when the fielder went into dugout with the ball.

Had a coach argue a safe call in a 1-0 game at thrid. Unusual because
the player called safe was her own.

Banger at 3rd, runner called safe, coach comes out hollaring, "how
can you make that call?" "Coach, that is your runner, and I can change
the call, and can eject you if you come out here yelling again."
She was so embarrased. Still telling me she was sorry when I
left for home.

wedding anniversary.

Hey Papa!,

It was indeed my pleasure to work with the "legend". Thank you for the kind words. It was indeed a treat to finally meet you and even nicer to get to call a few games with you at Sulfur.

Take care of yourself and Ill be looking for you soon.

Regards,
Andy:)

wadeintothem Sun Aug 03, 2008 04:51pm

Well I'm also back and I also worked with someone from this board, buggbob. Great guy with a great sense of humor and a damn fine official. He really does wear his bug glasses :) He brought his wife who was also a very nice person and was fun to be around. She almost seems to really like being around umpires :D They are driving 101 from CA to WA.. so they should be home and posting by 2009 or so.

Over 50 Stealths were confiscated, which was quite amazing (most being the purple/white ones). I'm sure this will be an ongoing issue and likely a subject of some OKC discussion because apparently we werent the only tourney collecting these bats en masse.

Tourney had a few issues, but I had no trouble or complaints, not so much as even a coaches warning. Really a fun time!

AtlUmpSteve Sun Aug 03, 2008 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Over 50 Stealths were confiscated, which was quite amazing (most being the purple/white ones). I'm sure this will be an ongoing issue and likely a subject of some OKC discussion because apparently we werent the only tourney collecting these bats en masse.

Why? There are no new Stealth models added to the Non-Approved Bat list; just the ones that have been there, SCN4 and SCN6. And the following bats show on the Approved Bat list:

Easton
SCN4B
Stealth Comp CNT (-10)
3/29/2006

Easton
SCN5
Stealth Comp CNT
3/29/2006

Easton
SCN5B
Stealth Comp CNT (-9)
3/29/2006

Easton
SCN6B
CNT Stealth Comp -10
2/19/2007

Easton
SCN7
CNT Stealth Comp
2/19/2007

Easton
SCN7B
CNT Stealth Comp -9
2/19/2007

Easton
SCN9
Stealth Comp CNT
5/11/2007

Sounds to me like someone created a personal interpretation.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Aug 03, 2008 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Why? There are no new Stealth models added to the Non-Approved Bat list;
<snip for space>
Sounds to me like someone created a personal interpretation.

I believe he was referring to the number of Eastons which were damaged/cracked.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Aug 03, 2008 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I believe he was referring to the number of Eastons which were damaged/cracked.

I have never seen one cracked, that hadn't split in half immediately.

wadeintothem Sun Aug 03, 2008 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I have never seen one cracked, that hadn't split in half immediately.

At the area where handle meets the barrel are many little cracks on the white part.. you've missed it because you've not been shown what to look for (same with me before this).

Holding the bat by the handle, if you shake it, it wiggles.. it is clearly loose.
MANY were this way, some were not. I know over 50 were taken at our tourney.

I did not routinely check a bat this way and I imagine most dont... I'm sure it will be discussed at higher levels because ours was not the only tourney where this was discovered.

EdJW Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12am

Were "confiscated" bats returned after teams' last games?

What happened with the confiscated bats after the tournament. If the bats are defective, the players/parents could return them to Easton for replacement. Or is the tournament returning the bats en masse for replacement?

Skahtboi Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:26am

I don't believe the bats are "defective," per se, but this is more of a case of the nature of the beast. If this is the bat that I think it is, over time and with use, small cracks start to develop around where the barrel of the bat is joined with the handle. I removed a few this year during playoffs.

Skahtboi Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:27am

Wow. This thread has been thoroughly hijacked. :rolleyes:

DaveASA/FED Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28am

The bats are returned to the owners after they are eliminated or win the tournament. They are on their own to get their money back, or a new bat.

SRW Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:02pm

It's 10am Monday and I'm waking up from about 12 hours of sleep after having been the umpire coordinator for the Girls' 18-U "A" Fast Pitch Western National.

I was exhausted. Still am, but that's the lack of a cup of coffee (which is brewing as I type.)

We pulled the white/purple eastons as well. Fractures near the handle/barrel. We actually had one separate in the game. Bad juju.

Overall, had a good time. Love this years' coin. Many memories. And good shrimp/clam boil!