The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Triple play!

This is my third triple play in 16 years. I still remember nearly every detail of the first two even though the first one occurred in the very first game I ever umpired. How many of you guys remember all your triple plays?

R1 at 2nd, R2 at 1st. No outs (duh). B3 hits a screamer shot at the short stop, fields the ball touches R1, steps on 2nd base, throws to 1st. Out. OUT. OUT!!!
Bugg
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I've had two this year! I had one this weekend and one a few weeks ago. I could have had 3 this year but the 3rd basebaseman had a brain fart preventing it.

Crazy, maybe its in the air.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I had an unassisted triple play in 16u FP last year.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Not to outdo anyone, but...

...I had an unassisted triple play a couple of weekends ago!

16U USSSA state tournament, R1 at second and R2 at first, runners going on the pitch. Line shot to F6 for out #1; F6 steps on second for out #2; the oblivious R2 thinks he was the one who was called out and trots to his first base side dugout while F6 runs a bit faster and touches first for out #3.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

We had one in MSP a few weeks back. Bases loaded. Line drive off of F3's foot, caught by F4. Throw behind runner to first base for second out, tag out at home (runner from 3rd was oblivious to the batted ball being caught in the air, despite "sell" out call) for out number three.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 10:19am
Administrator

I had one two weeks ago in a USSSA girls' 10U fast pitch league game. The Home team won the game by mercy rule, 24-0, in four innings.

Top of the second inning with the bases loaded. Fly ball to F7 (first out); F7 throws to F4 who tags second base (second out) before the runner on second could get back the base; the runner on third thought that the second out was the third out and started to walk to her dugout on the first base side of the diamond. Her third base coach yelled her to get back to third base. F4 throws to F5 who tagged third base (third out) before the runner could get back to third base.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen a few almost triple plays, but to date only 1 complete one and it involved my daughters high school team.

They were playing in a tournament against a team from Texas. Her team was at bat in the top of the 1st inning, and the pitcher from Texas had walked the bases loaded with no outs. #4 batter smashes a waist high pitch straight back at the pitcher who just manages to just barely tip the ball with her glove. Runners all stopped on the initial touch of the ball, but when it ricocheted off the glove they were all on the move again. Short stop who was playing deep for some reason dives into the infield and catches the ball just before it hits the ground, then proceeds to turn 6-4-3 for the 2nd and 3rd outs.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've only had one, and that was this year during the 13-inning championship game. R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B. Sharp grounder to F5, who scooped it up cleanly and tagged 3B for the force. F5 threw to F3 in time to retire the BR. R2 rounded 2B and attempted to go to 3B. He didn't know that F3 used to play semi-pro baseball, and he was gunned down easily at 3B with about 2 feet to spare.

Great play!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 05:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

I had one this season off of an infield fly. Bases loaded, no outs (). Batter hits a high pop up and I announce "Infield fly if fair!" Ball lands untouched between two fielders, a couple of feet fair on the third base line and stays fair. Runners are casually milling about as I'm pointing fair saying "The batter is out.", defense scoops up the ball, tags R1 off of third base and throws to 2nd, getting R2 who is casually walking back to 2nd.

The offense had no idea what happened. The manager tried to protest two innings later.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Just one.

When my DD was 8U she played in a summer Parks & Rec league. We lost every game but in our last game our F5 made an unassisted triple play. Bases loaded, pop up right to her, all the runners ran thinking she would not catch it. Catch, step on 3B, then turn and tag the runner charging in from 2B. We were pretty excited then I realized it must be tough to reach the peak of your playing career at age 7.
part-time coach,
here to learn.