Official Forum Member

During my second HS Fall Ball game between two evenly matched
teams, I witnessed a triple play.

Visitors leading 5-4, home batting, time has expries, finishing
inning. First two batters walk. Third batter hits a shot down 1B
line. F3 standing on bag, catches ball, two quick outs. R1 took
about 4 steps off 2B, and slipped while trying to turn around and
return. Easy call for one man crew.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

... and the fans go wild!

Had a "fans go wild" x3...

Semi final game of the state tournament. I'm on the bases. 16U.

R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, B3 up to bat. Bottom of 7th, visitors ahead 4-3. 1 out.

B3 hits a long outfield hit to center-right. R1 scores, R2 chugging home as the throw is coming in. R2 remains on her feet and collides with F3. Home fans go wild (winning run was R2), home team charges out of the dugout. My partner says, "hold on" and comes out to talk. After discussion, he rules R2 out (8-7Q). Visitors' fans go wild, defensive coach starts jawing at me. I point to my partner. He goes to talk to partner. Comes back still jawing about OBS. I refer him to rule 8-7Q. Funny how citing a rule number quiets a coach. Game continues, score now tied.

B4 (to keep the numbering non-confusing) also hits a long outfield hit, scoring R3. Home fans go wild again.

After the game, UIC (who saw the whole thing) says the only thing we did wrong was not eject R2. He (the UIC) was sure the collision was intentional. (I suggested that to my partner, but he was not convinced it was malicious -- his call -- and he told UIC I had suggested it -- stand up guy!)
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Never umpired a triple play, but coached one (on JV nonetheless).

Runners on 1B and 2B. looper (about 8 feet high) to short stop who catches it for one out. Opposing coach had hit and run on, so both runners were off with pitch (actually about two steps early, but anyway...). F6 tags R1 off 2B...2 outs. Throw to first for three. Triple play!

And we lost 19-11.

Good defense right?
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone seen a triple play in fast pitch NOT involving a caught fly, but 3 force outs off of an infield grounder? It'd be tough with the short base lines. I've not seen one. Double plays are rare enough.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Has anyone seen a triple play in fast pitch NOT involving a caught fly, but 3 force outs off of an infield grounder? It'd be tough with the short base lines. I've not seen one. Double plays are rare enough.
It happens in 10U rec about twice a season! Of course in those ANYTHING is liable to happen!
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

After the game, UIC (who saw the whole thing) says the only thing we did wrong was not eject R2. He (the UIC) was sure the collision was intentional. (I suggested that to my partner, but he was not convinced it was malicious -- his call -- and he told UIC I had suggested it -- stand up guy!)
Tom,

This is where I believe many umpires, not wanting to be bad guys try justify no ejecting a player. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there intentions are good and honorable.

However, to me, if a runner intentionally runs into/over a defender, that is a malicious act, or flagrant or whatever adjective you prefer.

How can you have any player intentionally do anything which may harm another individual and it not be malicious? The rules will take care of the out/safe and placement of runners questions, but it takes an ejection to get the point across to the coaches, parents and players.

Letting a player get away with such actions do nothing, but encourage a repeat of the indicident. Are umpires to be nice guys and allow that to happen until someone gets hurt, or use the book to possibly avert an injury to someone in the future?

Yeah, yeah, I know...But Blue, she's just a little girl...or...she's just doing what she sees other people do...or, well, nevermind, the whining excuses could go on forever.

Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

I agree, and so did the UIC. I advised him of my views during our discussion. But, as I said, it was his call. At least he was man enough to own up to that during the combined compliment for calling the OUT and the reprimand for not ejecting.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota: "Has anyone seen a triple play in fast pitch NOT involving a caught fly, but 3 force outs off of an infield grounder? It'd be tough with the short base lines. I've not seen one. Double plays are rare enough."

Actually, yes. And I posted it here just a month ago.

"First time ever for me. Women's FP, top of 1st, bases loaded, no outs - and I am thinking that this may be one long ballgame. (First game had a couple Div 1 pitchers locked in a 1-0 battle and was fun - and quick.)

Anyway - hard ball to F5, to F2 and I've got the 1st out. To F3 and partner has second out. Runner from second tries to catch defense napping and comes home and I have the 3rd out! From bases loaded to side out - just like that."

Two force outs and a tag - close enough?

WMB
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I performed one. However, it was cheap and probably improperly handled by the umpires.

Bases loaded, I'm pitching. High popup between me and catcher. I hear no "Infield Fly", so I let it drop and run home to touch the plate, turning to see where else a play may be. Umpire mumbles infield fly. R3 is standing halfway between 3rd and home, so just in case umpires actually rule the batter out, I tag her. R1 and R2 stayed put, but after I tag R3, R2 inexplicably sprints for 3rd - I beat him there easily. Umpired called R3, R2, and batter out.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I have never seen one. It would be tough. The three I
have been involved with were liners. In each case to F3.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 09:59pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
And we lost 19-11.
Good defense right?
In 1997, when I started out scoring JV Softball for my friend, who was the coach at the time, our first win was a 24-23 game, where we got a bases loaded hit in the bottom of the 7th for the win. (We didn't have the time limit rule yet).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball