The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

First time ever for me. Women's FP, top of 1st, bases loaded, no outs - and I am thinking that this may be one long ballgame. (First game had a couple Div 1 pitchers locked in a 1-0 battle and was fun - and quick.)

Anyway - hard ball to F5, to F2 and I've got the 1st out. To F3 and partner has second out. Runner from second tries to catch defense napping and comes home and I have the 3rd out! From bases loaded to side out - just like that.

And that's it for this year. Time to pack the equipment away till next March. Only calls I'll make the next few months will be on these boards.

WMB
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
First time ever for me. Women's FP, top of 1st, bases loaded, no outs - and I am thinking that this may be one long ballgame. (First game had a couple Div 1 pitchers locked in a 1-0 battle and was fun - and quick.)

Anyway - hard ball to F5, to F2 and I've got the 1st out. To F3 and partner has second out. Runner from second tries to catch defense napping and comes home and I have the 3rd out! From bases loaded to side out - just like that.

And that's it for this year. Time to pack the equipment away till next March. Only calls I'll make the next few months will be on these boards.

WMB
What a way to go out! You don't do any Fall Ball or tournaments? It's usually not as good, but it's still fun.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

"You don't do any Fall Ball or tournaments?"

Nope. Not much to do. It's basketball season; practice started this week; opening games in a couple weeks. Except for a few still playing in the LL World Series, the girls have hung up the gloves and are shooting hoops now.

There are fall slow pitch leagues - but I don't need a "fix" bad enough to go that route.

WMB
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"You don't do any Fall Ball or tournaments?"

Nope. Not much to do. It's basketball season; practice started this week; opening games in a couple weeks. Except for a few still playing in the LL World Series, the girls have hung up the gloves and are shooting hoops now.

From what I understand, that will be changing in Michigan next year.

Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:24pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

[/QUOTE]
From what I understand, that will be changing in Michigan next year.
[/QUOTE]

A lot of people are waiting anxiously to see what happens, not just game officials. I'm not going to go on record with my personal opinions or hopes, but instead address some of the logistical issues that will have to be confronted with the season switchover:

A number of coaches here either coach boys and girls HS basketball or HS girls and College women's basketball. Something that will end if this is upheld. We recently had a coach successfully sue to be the coach of both the boys and girls HS teams, and now this person will likely have to choose one over the other, making the suit all for naught (except for the principals and legalities of the case).

I've been in a unique position where I can do stats for HS girls in the fall and College Men/Women in the winter. I've already told my HS Coaching Friend that with a season switch, I immediately retire from the HS level. (I have been invited to start doing college volleyball games at the college I do basketball games for now, so I'm anticipating that happening a year from now, barring anything unforseen)

While I'm sure the MHSAA will do what it can to make the transition as smooth as possible, there will be a lot of logistics to iron out in terms of coaches, officials, and game crew.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

"From what I understand, that will be changing in Michigan next year."

Maybe, maybe not. It is still in the legal system; currently before the full Federal Appeals Court in Cincy. And the MHSAA may take it to the Supreme Court if they lose in Appeals.

The whole process disgusts me (and it started in my home town). The legal premise is based on the assumption that a function of high school sports is to expose students to college scholarships; therefore female volleyball and basketball players are disavantaged by not competing during the collegiate seasons. It was started because the Michigan volleyball season interferred with the AAU/USA volleyball programs that are considered springboards to college scholarships. As one who is a purist in the belief that high school sports are a function of the high school educational process, I get angry everytime someone goes to court when their kid gets kicked off a sports team because they are being denied their just right to compete for a college scholarship!

Michigan has been a pioneer in girls sports. Long before Title IX we had high school competition and state championship play in several sports. Though Michigan is the 8th most populous state, we rank 4th in numbers of girls participating in HS sports. In the major sports of volleyball, basketball, and softball most schools have full varsity, JV, and freshmen teams and often have to cut to pare down to reasonable team sizes. And college coaches know how to find their way into Michigan as we have hundreds of girls every year moving on to Div I sports.

So we must be doing something right, but these plaintiffs somehow think that our girls are disadvantaged when seeking college scholarships.

Our female basketball players will be hurt the most if the seasons are changed. In the fall they own the gyms, the fans, the media attention, their own tournament. (All, of course shared with boy's football.) If they move to the winter they will have to compete with the boys for coaches, referees, scorekeepers, gyms for practice and games, fans, media, and tournaments. When coaches can not coach two teams anymore, which team will they choose? Some for referees? I have seen 1500 to 2500 seat gyms packed for girls district or regional tournament games; how many will be there when the boy's tournaments games are played the next night?

I'm sorry for the rant; maybe this doesn't belong on an umpire's board. But these people have lost the concept of what high school sports are about. Yes, Michigan's sport seasons are different than the other states; BUT - we have more girls playing HS sports than all but three states. And I think that we rank second in percentage of female participation. Being different isn't wrong - especialy if it works.

WMB

Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... someone goes to court when their kid gets kicked off a sports team because they are being denied their just right to compete for a college scholarship!
A lot of change that I had not heard about. I can imagine how it could turn things upside down. As for the statement above: I wonder if my kid flunks out of "business math" if I should sue the school for not letting him in advanced trig because they are causing him to not be able to go to Yale.
Old Sat Aug 14, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Michigan has been a pioneer in girls sports. Long before Title IX we had high school competition and state championship play in several sports. Though Michigan is the 8th most populous state, we rank 4th in numbers of girls participating in HS sports. In the major sports of volleyball, basketball, and softball most schools have full varsity, JV, and freshmen teams and often have to cut to pare down to reasonable team sizes. And college coaches know how to find their way into Michigan as we have hundreds of girls every year moving on to Div I sports.

So we must be doing something right, but these plaintiffs somehow think that our girls are disadvantaged when seeking college scholarships.

Our female basketball players will be hurt the most if the seasons are changed. In the fall they own the gyms, the fans, the media attention, their own tournament. (All, of course shared with boy's football.) If they move to the winter they will have to compete with the boys for coaches, referees, scorekeepers, gyms for practice and games, fans, media, and tournaments. When coaches can not coach two teams anymore, which team will they choose? Some for referees? I have seen 1500 to 2500 seat gyms packed for girls district or regional tournament games; how many will be there when the boy's tournaments games are played the next night?

I'm sorry for the rant; maybe this doesn't belong on an umpire's board. But these people have lost the concept of what high school sports are about. Yes, Michigan's sport seasons are different than the other states; BUT - we have more girls playing HS sports than all but three states. And I think that we rank second in percentage of female participation. Being different isn't wrong - especialy if it works.

WMB
Sounds to me like this method could be construed as avoiding Title IX as much as enforcing it.

Don't have to provide the girls with equal facilities if they just let them use the same ones the boys use. OTOH, why not have the boys play off-season every other year to make it fair. Or would that interfere with the almighty HS football programs? Is there an ulterior motive here?

BTW, I have never believed in same-type sports teams sharing coaches. As softball umpires, we see what has happened over the years in some areas where the baseball coaches were used for the girl's softball team. Many STILL have no concept that the games and rules are different. Of course, many of us have also witnessed how some umpires cannot equally adjust when moving between the two games.

As far as purists go, basketball is a winter game for one reason, it is played indoors, whether the skies are clear or covered by clouds.

Look what playing HS softball off-season has done to Georgia this year. Girls had to decide whether to partake in the 18U Gold NC or play HS ball. That's a tough call for some young ladies. And, BTW, speaking of scholarships, a young lady is more likely to get an offer through and type of ball before HS ball.

Don't care one way or the other, but being a purists, HS sports should be played in season, no matter what.

Old Sat Aug 14, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"From what I understand, that will be changing in Michigan next year."

Maybe, maybe not. It is still in the legal system; currently before the full Federal Appeals Court in Cincy. And the MHSAA may take it to the Supreme Court if they lose in Appeals.

The whole process disgusts me (and it started in my home town). The legal premise is based on the assumption that a function of high school sports is to expose students to college scholarships; therefore female volleyball and basketball players are disavantaged by not competing during the collegiate seasons. It was started because the Michigan volleyball season interferred with the AAU/USA volleyball programs that are considered springboards to college scholarships. As one who is a purist in the belief that high school sports are a function of the high school educational process, I get angry everytime someone goes to court when their kid gets kicked off a sports team because they are being denied their just right to compete for a college scholarship!

WMB

A big AMEN from me.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Hey WMB--

Do you know Marc Droullaird? I think that's the way he spells his name. I had the pleasure of having him on my crew at the 1999 16U ASA National.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Know of him; Drouillard is a trainer on the Metro Detroit staff. My ASA contacts are limited to a few MASA staff and umpires on the West side of the state.

WMB
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 05:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Know of him; Drouillard is a trainer on the Metro Detroit staff. My ASA contacts are limited to a few MASA staff and umpires on the West side of the state.

WMB
Say wha'?
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

Anyway - hard ball to F5, to F2 and I've got the 1st out. To F3 and partner has second out. Runner from second tries to catch defense napping and comes home and I have the 3rd out! From bases loaded to side out - just like that....

WMB
Had a triple play at Women's A Nationals in Ft. Payne AL. Runners on 2nd and 3rd (got there via an IP, by the way). Fly ball to left center. I go out and get the first out. R1 leaves 3B early. Throw goes to the plate, then to 3B where we get R2 trying to advance for out #2. Defense appeals the runner leaving early, and PU gets out #3.