The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

The picture on Fechheimer's web site has regular pockets. It looks like ASA has the western pockets. Is that correct? Surely the western pockets are not a good thing?? Gotta be harder to get into for coin, indicator, mints, etc.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Guess I should have though of all of this at one time - one post.

Any comments on likes / dislikes of various brands of pants?

I have only used +POS and Honigs. Prefer +POS, but obviously not available.

They seem more durable and are crisper looking. Hold the seams better. More comfortable in general.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Does one have to buy from ASA?
I'm not ASA, can I buy from ASA?
Any other places to buy?

Thanks
To work and ASA State or National, yes, you have to buy from ASA. Some Metro organization are now expecting their members to have the ASA uniform required for State or National work.

You don't have to be a member of ASA to buy their equipment. Trust me, they will sell anything they have to anyone. That is what the whole issue of ASA pants for National assignments is really all about, the money.

Any other places to buy ASA certified equipment? No. Any other places to buy umpire pants and equipment. Yes. Bunches of them. Honigs, Lester's Upstate Sports, Officials Supply and lots of others.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guess I should have though of all of this at one time - one post.

Any comments on likes / dislikes of various brands of pants?

I have only used +POS and Honigs. Prefer +POS, but obviously not available.

They seem more durable and are crisper looking. Hold the seams better. More comfortable in general.
For my money, I prefer Cliff Keen or Fechheimer. I personally feel they are the best of the bunch.

Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
To work and ASA State or National, yes, you have to buy from ASA. Some Metro organization are now expecting their members to have the ASA uniform required for State or National work.

You don't have to be a member of ASA to buy their equipment. Trust me, they will sell anything they have to anyone. That is what the whole issue of ASA pants for National assignments is really all about, the money.

Any other places to buy ASA certified equipment? No. Any other places to buy umpire pants and equipment. Yes. Bunches of them. Honigs, Lester's Upstate Sports, Officials Supply and lots of others.
I wasn't aware that it was mandatory to have the Fechheimer pants for anything below National level. However, if you want to advance, I'd recommend wearing them.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The picture on Fechheimer's web site has regular pockets. It looks like ASA has the western pockets. Is that correct? Surely the western pockets are not a good thing?? Gotta be harder to get into for coin, indicator, mints, etc.
The purpose of the Western pockets is that they will not flare out like a set of ears when the umpire goes into a set position. Looks better on the field than the regular pockets.

Put the coin in your hip pocket, the indicator in your belt and who the hell cares if you have sweet smelling breath when you talk to the coaches?
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Put the coin in your hip pocket, the indicator in your belt and who the hell cares if you have sweet smelling breath when you talk to the coaches?
Which is why I usually get the onions on my burger before the game.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The purpose of the Western pockets is that they will not flare out like a set of ears when the umpire goes into a set position. Looks better on the field than the regular pockets.
IMO, this is a silly fixation on the part of the ASA chief honchos.

I do understand trying to tighten the standards on uniforms - you should see some of the stuff worn around here.

But, really, worrying about the pockets "flaring out"?

No other diamond-sports orgnization worries about that... which is, of course, why you can ONLY get the western cut pockets from ASA Properties.

Wait... that there IS the reason they mandate western cut - you can only buy them from ASA!!

Fech and Keen make the best quality umpire pants, IMO, and ASA's price is competitive for Fech. But, I hate the western cut pockets. And, I prefer pleated - more comfortable.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
IMO, this is a silly fixation on the part of the ASA chief honchos.

I do understand trying to tighten the standards on uniforms - you should see some of the stuff worn around here.

But, really, worrying about the pockets "flaring out"?

No other diamond-sports orgnization worries about that... which is, of course, why you can ONLY get the western cut pockets from ASA Properties.

Wait... that there IS the reason they mandate western cut - you can only buy them from ASA!!

Fech and Keen make the best quality umpire pants, IMO, and ASA's price is competitive for Fech. But, I hate the western cut pockets. And, I prefer pleated - more comfortable.
Where did I say anyone including ASA worries about this?

The issue was raised and I suggested a reason why Western may be preferred.

If you are worrying about needing pleated pants and/or regular pockets to feel comfortable, maybe you should be trying the next size up.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I dont "need" pleated, I prefer them because they look better. ASA's ugly pants are by far the ugliest umpire pants available, except perhaps the Walmart Special Umpire pants for 14.95 (although those are more comfortable).
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where did I say anyone including ASA worries about this?

The issue was raised and I suggested a reason why Western may be preferred.

If you are worrying about needing pleated pants and/or regular pockets to feel comfortable, maybe you should be trying the next size up.
Did I use the word "need"? I said "prefer." They are more comfortable; they allow more freedom of movement; and like wade, I think they look better. Western cut pockets are borderline useless as pockets.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did I use the word "need"? I said "prefer." They are more comfortable; they allow more freedom of movement; and like wade, I think they look better. Western cut pockets are borderline useless as pockets.
Yet with my belly and big tail, I don't have a problem using them. Go figure.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. Personally, I hate the flat front pants with the western style pockets.

Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does one have to buy from ASA?
I'm not ASA, can I buy from ASA?
Any other places to buy?

Thanks
1) if you are doing an ASA National starting this year you have to have Fecheimer pants,and ASA is the only place I have found to get them.
2) yes anyone can order from them! officialgear.com
3) not that I have found for these pants, even went to the company website...they make a lot of uniforms but I couldnt find where to buy these western cut pocket pants, not saying there isn't but if there is let us all know!!

Also I agree with the length thing...the plate pants for sure are long in the crotch (no comments, I know I just don't have enough there to make them fit right ) so the inseam starts from a farther point and makes them about 2" too long. I got mine and pinned them up where they were about half way up the back of my plate shoes, keeps them from getting filthy in dusty fields and hangs just about perfect with the front hitting the metatarsel support on my plate shoes.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
1) if you are doing an ASA National starting this year you have to have Fecheimer pants,and ASA is the only place I have found to get them.
2) yes anyone can order from them! officialgear.com
3) not that I have found for these pants, even went to the company website...they make a lot of uniforms but I couldnt find where to buy these western cut pocket pants, not saying there isn't but if there is let us all know!!

Also I agree with the length thing...the plate pants for sure are long in the crotch (no comments, I know I just don't have enough there to make them fit right ) so the inseam starts from a farther point and makes them about 2" too long. I got mine and pinned them up where they were about half way up the back of my plate shoes, keeps them from getting filthy in dusty fields and hangs just about perfect with the front hitting the metatarsel support on my plate shoes.
"Metatarsel?" Is that another word for half-@$$?