Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
Yes I will. We should be pulling in about an hour before it starts.
Looks like our PMs crossed in the ether.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
Robbie,

If I remember correctly you are from Indiana. I am not sure that you can order from officialgear.com. We've been told in the past that Wayne (our state commissioner) has gotten the national office to agree not to sell equipment to anyone from Indiana. I don't know if that's true or not, as I've always bought all my ASA equipment from Wayne as each year he attends all the state schools and clinics. Saves the cost of shipping, plus you get to try on anything before you buy it. I also don't believe that he will sell equipment to anyone who is not an ASA registered umpire.

YMMV, but that is my understanding!
Being from Indiana I will speak to this somewhat. Wayne does sell stuff as a courtesy to umpires, state UIC has been toting the stuff since Wayne has been sick, got a hat and shirt off him last weekend. He has in the past visited all the clinics and State tournies and he does have a large selection that you can try on very nice with hats for sure But to my knowledge Wayne has never said anything about not ordering from ASA and has even told me "I'm out of that you can get it from national or I will get it for you and send it to you, just let me know" so I don't think he is trying to keep anyone from ordering from the national office, or official gear in this case. And I can tell you for a fact that they will ship to Indiana, the local state school got cancelled this year and I needed a pair of gray base pants so I ordered them after I realized I wouldnt see Wayne until after the high school season (IN uses gray in FED and blue in ASA) and their was no issue ordering or recieving the stuff. Again I think Wayne would prefer you bought from him, since any profit on the sales will stay in Indiana that way, but I don't think there is any agreement for anyone not to sell to Indiana folks.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Being from Indiana I will speak to this somewhat. Wayne does sell stuff as a courtesy to umpires, state UIC has been toting the stuff since Wayne has been sick, got a hat and shirt off him last weekend. He has in the past visited all the clinics and State tournies and he does have a large selection that you can try on very nice with hats for sure But to my knowledge Wayne has never said anything about not ordering from ASA and has even told me "I'm out of that you can get it from national or I will get it for you and send it to you, just let me know" so I don't think he is trying to keep anyone from ordering from the national office, or official gear in this case. And I can tell you for a fact that they will ship to Indiana, the local state school got cancelled this year and I needed a pair of gray base pants so I ordered them after I realized I wouldnt see Wayne until after the high school season (IN uses gray in FED and blue in ASA) and their was no issue ordering or recieving the stuff. Again I think Wayne would prefer you bought from him, since any profit on the sales will stay in Indiana that way, but I don't think there is any agreement for anyone not to sell to Indiana folks.
I would suspect there is no such agreement. That could be seen as collusion.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
That could be seen as collusion.
Only if they are competitors. A business (in this case, ASA Properties) can choose to set up exclusive distributors / retailers in any area they choose. It would be collusion of they got Honigs (for example) to agree to not sell in Indiana, but it is not collusion if they themselves choose to sell their product in Indiana through only one outlet.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
I've never tried to order from ASA so you would know better than me Dave. Obviously either I have comprehension problems or I am more gullible than most since I took what I perceived to have heard and have only ordered equipment from Wayne, which I have no problem doing. It's not like he price gouges us, and he has always had whatever I needed. I too get my Fed pants from him, along with ball bags, indicators, etc. that I use for Fed. About the only thing I get from Honig's are my IHSAA shirts and caps.

By the way, I didn't know Wayne was sick. Hope he's doing okay now.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Only if they are competitors. A business (in this case, ASA Properties) can choose to set up exclusive distributors / retailers in any area they choose. It would be collusion of they got Honigs (for example) to agree to not sell in Indiana, but it is not collusion if they themselves choose to sell their product in Indiana through only one outlet.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of ASA "agreeing" to stay out of IN, but secretly allowing one person to make the purchases. This could drive the prices up, and could be perceived as a conflict of interest.

So basically what I'm saying is... I heartily doubt ASA would ever enter into such an agreement.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of ASA "agreeing" to stay out of IN, but secretly allowing one person to make the purchases. This could drive the prices up, and could be perceived as a conflict of interest.

So basically what I'm saying is... I heartily doubt ASA would ever enter into such an agreement.
I also doubt they would do it. But if they did, it would not be illegal. Annoying, perhaps, but not illegal.

Personally, if I have a quality local retailer of umpire uniforms, I prefer that to mail order. I won't buy hats online, for example, since hat size is a joke. Even when I go in the local store, I have to try on several of the "same size" to find one that fits properly.

Last edited by Dakota; Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:34am.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I also doubt they would do it. But if they did, it would not be illegal. Annoying, perhaps, but not illegal.

Personally, if I have a quality local retailer of umpire uniforms, I prefer that to mail order. I won't buy hats online, for example, since hat size is a joke. Even when I go in the local store, I have to try on several of the "same size" to find one that fits properly.
Yeah, I have a 7 3/8 fitted cap that I mistakenly ordered from the Official Gear website. Anyone want to buy a fitted cap for $5? Tried it on only once...

Are sombreros that different in their sizes?