The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Solution to coaches that chirp!!!

I want to that whoever on this board gave me this great idea. . .I used it today - PERFECT!! Playoff Game 5th - 6th grade. . .i am behind the plate, 90+ degrees and high humidity!!

So the away team coaches have been chirping from the dugout on 3rd. . . .Complaining about my calls. And what they were complaining about was absurd as the pitches they wanted strikes were shoulder high or so outside, Ray Charles coulda made a BALL call.

At the bottom of the 4th, I told my partner to support me in what I was bound to do - he agreed. . .SO, Top of the 5th, after several more chirping incendents and NOW FROM THE PARENTS IN THE STANDS. . . I stepped out from behind the plate. . .stood next to the coach 1/2 up the 3B line (he was behind the fence), and told the pitcher to pitch. . .The ball was fouled off. I looked at the away team coaches and said "Man that looked high, but was it inside or outside?" "You guys have a such great view from here, I figured the call would be easy" and proceeded to make my way back to the plate.

Needless to say one chimed in and say "Very professional Blue..." and in turn I replied. . . "Now you can see why I set up behind the catcher, and if you question me again, someone is getting tossed."

I know I should have warned them earlier, but what profound statement with that action. THANK YOU WHOEVER!! Nary a word from the bench after that. (BTW I had the same issues with this team the week prior re strikes/balls - and from the 3B coach 60 ft away!!! I didnt realize it was the same team until the game ended)

My partner just nodded to me. . .and 2 of the parents of the HOME team came up to me on my way to the car saying complimenting me on the very odd way of making a statement on how not to question the ump.

one more piece to the story, I was accused of throwing the pitcher off her game. . .funny, but she K'd the next 2 of 4 after that. . . .I am just wondering when coaches like this will realize THAT THEIR KIDS HEAR WHAT THEY SAY and NO DOUBT, GET DISTRACTED BY THEIR VERY OWN COACHS!!!
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

You should considr some other passtime.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue
after several more chirping incendents and NOW FROM THE PARENTS IN THE STANDS

I warned them
There is another good strategy that I've learned from this board. "Nip it in the bud". So when you realize that there is going to be chirping, you pull the coach aside, and say "if anyone questions me again, he/she is getting tossed".

Last edited by 7in60; Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 11:40am.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Dugout Prison

"Coach, I need you to go in the dugout and sit on your hands at the far end of the bench. I don't want to hear another word from you." "You're serious blue?". "I am coach. If you want to stay for the remainder of the game I suggest you go sit down."
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60
There is another good strategy that I've learned from this board. "Nip it in the bud". So when you realize that there is going to be chirping, you pull the coach aside, and say "if anyone questions me again, he/she is getting tossed".
I'm down with the "nip it in the bud" philosophy. I think it was WMB who wrote about using the lineup card problem to approach the coach and address the chirping in a quiet professional manner. So far it has worked everytime.

Just used it last week. One pitcher is a solid ASA 14U pitcher. Nice corners, nice movement, and a pretty wicked change up for a 14 year old. The other pitcher couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. We're talking your basic horrible walk fest. Her coach thinks he's going to start in on me as if I'm the problem that his "Cat" is struggling.

First chance I get I remove the line up from the holder and mosey on over to his white throne. I talk,he tries to interrupt, I explain in a little more detail. I do this all quietly,professionally and under the radar.

Next inning he comes out and says "he's sorry" for his motor mouth.

So I am a fan of nip it in the bud and also be professional about it......
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
First chance I get I remove the line up from the holder and mosey on over to his white throne.
Yeah... I followed this coach into the bathroom once, too, and....

Ohhh. You meant his white throne bucket.

Actually, I agree with what you said perfectly. Giving a little respect often gets respect back. When this happens to me, I try to remind them a little early, too. When I find a way to do it as you noted, without drawing, too much outside attention to the issue, it usually gets solved quickly.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IMO, you never issue ultimatums.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
IMO, you never issue ultimatums.
Right, better wording, as previously stated here, is "coach, there will be no more of that, understand?"
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Oh I agree but with less abrasive wording. . . .but let me tell you that I have spoke to my assignor as well as other board members and they have all told me the same thing. . . This set of coaches have never listened and question EVERYTHING and dont accept explainations re rules. . . .BTW they all laughed in support of what i did. . .

In fact, 3 days prior to my game. . .this set of coaches were so bold that they told my head umpire by not calling an INFIELD FLY with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out - that he blew the call. Yes, I did type that correctly. . . .and funny before my game (I didnt know why at the time but) the coaches asked ME to define the IF. . . I told them the same thing they were told 3 days prior. . . .once again, this set of coaches dont want to be proven wrong and were looking for a different ans!!. . .
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh I agree but with less abrasive wording. . . .but let me tell you that I have spoke to my assignor as well as other board members and they have all told me the same thing. . . This set of coaches have never listened and question EVERYTHING and dont accept explainations re rules. . . .BTW they all laughed in support of what i did. . .

In fact, 3 days prior to my game. . .this set of coaches were so bold that they told my head umpire by not calling an INFIELD FLY with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out - that he blew the call. Yes, I did type that correctly. . . .and funny before my game (I didnt know why at the time but) the coaches asked ME to define the IF. . . I told them the same thing they were told 3 days prior. . . .once again, this set of coaches dont want to be proven wrong and were looking for a different ans!!. . .
Are these coaches ex cons or what ? I mean what fun can it be to always to interact in that manner ? It's kinda sad to me that they behave like that as SOP.

I play tennis tournaments and I know guys who are good but are so abrasive that no one will have anything to do with them. Those type of people miss out on alot of what the world has to offer.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

If these coaches are as bad as they are being made out to be, sounds to me like these coaches need to be handled.

Playing fanny slap with them is just meaning that the next ump gets to deal with them.. and on and on and on.

Way too many umps play slap the monkey with coaches.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Me thinks you might have a future calling 5th and 6th grade softball??
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
This thread is a bit disappointing
- that Tom had to remind about not issuing ultimatums (or threats)
- that some seem to be letting coaches misbehave
- that some think tossing is the only solution
- that anyone thinks coaches at the younger levels have to be bad guys to behave like this
- etc.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
This thread is a bit disappointing
- that Tom had to remind about not issuing ultimatums (or threats)
- that some seem to be letting coaches misbehave
- that some think tossing is the only solution
- that anyone thinks coaches at the younger levels have to be bad guys to behave like this
- etc.
I'm not disappointed at all that we are:
- being honest about our conduct
- offering constructive advice
- communicating
- learning
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the bottom of the 4th, I told my partner to support me in what I was bound to do - he agreed. . .SO, Top of the 5th, after several more chirping incendents and NOW FROM THE PARENTS IN THE STANDS. . . I stepped out from behind the plate. . .stood next to the coach 1/2 up the 3B line (he was behind the fence), and told the pitcher to pitch. . .The ball was fouled off. I looked at the away team coaches and said "Man that looked high, but was it inside or outside?" "You guys have a such great view from here, I figured the call would be easy" and proceeded to make my way back to the plate.!!!
That's not action had I been your partner I would have supported.

Quote:
Needless to say one chimed in and say "Very professional Blue..." and in turn I replied. . . "Now you can see why I set up behind the catcher, and if you question me again, someone is getting tossed."
Per your threat, for the remainder of the game no questions could be asked by this coach. Must have been a shining moment for you.

Quote:
(BTW I had the same issues with this team the week prior re strikes/balls - and from the 3B coach 60 ft away!!! I didnt realize it was the same team until the game ended)
Sometimes a short memory is a good thing.

Quote:
My partner just nodded to me.
I'm wondering if it was a nod or if your partenr was dropping his head in shame being on the same field with you.

Quote:
one more piece to the story, I was accused of throwing the pitcher off her game.
If that's the only thing you were accused of after that game, you had a good day.