The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
No one ever has to worry about giving a T to a team that doesn't have their book info turned in on time, at one school I worked at last week. They "Don't set the clock until the info is on the table and then we set it for 10:00." Is that clever, or sneaky?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Kinda sounds like they are rewarding irresponsibility. I know that I want my games to start on time. To me, that is a bit lacking in courtesy to the officials that are calling the game. If the game is scheduled at 6:30, the coaches need to be responsible to have their books ready by 6:20.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not bad - as long as 1) they know when they should have started the clock and get after people so you don't have an unreasonable delay, and 2) they do it the same for home and guests. Certainly alleviates a pointless T in a fair way.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Good morning,

I think it's sneaky. If they put 10 minutes on the clock once all the names are in the book, then it could delay the start of the game. Most of the officials I know do this. Wait to go over to check the book when you see the person stop writing in the book. Be careful with this because, you don't want to wait too long. If you wait too long to check the book, have the coaches and captain's conference etc., then you could cause the game to be delayed. I hate to start the game with a T because of an administration foulup. If the scorer gets the names in at 9:58, are you going to penalize them? What happens if the scorer rushes to get the names in on time but makes an error in putting them in? T? Have a great day.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
No one ever has to worry about giving a T to a team that doesn't have their book info turned in on time, at one school I worked at last week. They "Don't set the clock until the info is on the table and then we set it for 10:00." Is that clever, or sneaky?
Then how do you know when it's at 15:00 so you can get out
there at the correct time? Anyway, this is not so
uncommon, ie stop the clock just before 10:00 to make
sure both sides have their names available. There is no
rule to prevent this, IMO.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
If the scorer gets the names in at 9:58, are you going to penalize them? What happens if the scorer rushes to get the names in on time but makes an error in putting them in? T? Have a great day.
No and No. The requirement is *NOT* that the scorer have the book done by 10:00 -- it's that the teams make the information available to the scorers. So, the scorer's delay and the scorer's error are not punished by assessing a T on either team.