The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS – Batter hit by pitch swinging – 3rd strike out?

I was selected to do our high school state tournament for the first time and in going over the Fed rules to make sure I’m up to speed on those pesky rule-set differences came across this potential issue.

Question: Does the batter, hit by pitch while swinging at the 3rd strike, need to hit the ball fair or foul to be called out? See the rule and penalty citations.

A strike is charged to the batter when:
g. a pitched ball contacts the batter while swinging at the ball or the batter is hit by the pitch that is in the strike zone (dead ball strike) [no mention of what happens on 3rd strike]

8.1.2. b.
Penalty 2. If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including on the hands, while swinging at a pitch, and hits the ball fair or foul, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

I’ve always used the ASA rule for this – the batter does NOT need to contact the ball to be called out.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
In 8.1.2.b, it is assumed (at least in my mind) that the sequence is a) swing, b) HBP, c) hit the ball. Rare, I agree, but they are covering all bases.

So, if that is true, then the pitch is a strike on the swing; the ball is dead when it hits her; and the actual striking of the ball with the bat is irrelevent. If strike 3, then the batter is out. 7.2.1 is the same - strike 3, batter out.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler
8.1.2. b.
Penalty 2. If the batter is hit anywhere on the body, including on the hands, while swinging at a pitch, and hits the ball fair or foul, the ball is dead and a strike called. If it is strike three, the batter is out.
This is just clarifying the fact it really doesn't matter if they hit the ball, the ball is still dead and a strike is called on the batter. (In other words, it is helping to further dispel the "hands are part of the bat" myth.)

If you read all of 8.1.2 in its entirety, this becomes a little more clear. So to answer your question, no, the batter does not have to hit the ball to receive a dead ball strike when she is HBTP, but even if she does it is STILL a dead ball strike.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.