The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

View Poll Results: How many of you say "Out" on a Swinging 3rd Strike that is caught ?
I DO say Out. 6 11.54%
I DON'T say Out. 44 84.62%
I say something else. 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Swinging 3rd Strike Call

Do you say, "Out" on a Swinging 3rd Strike that is caught ?

Nick
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Usually, there is no need to say anything. I just point for the swing and show the hammer.

If there is a question on whether he swung, I again point, verbalize "Yes he did!" and again show the hammer.

I learned long ago that the minute you get into the habit of verbalizing "strike out" or something like that, that's the time that the catcher will drop the ball.

The only time I will verbalize "Out" on a swing is if the catcher drops the ball (or the pitch bounces) and first base is already occupied. Then its a loud, "The batter is out!", especially if they take off for first base.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Do you say, "Out" on a Swinging 3rd Strike that is caught ?
I don't, unless it's low and questionable and then I verbalize.

Interesting dropped third happened to me last week.
Varsity game
2 out bases empty 2-2 count.
F2 set up to outside, pitch comes in down the middle knee high tailing to inside. strike 3. Ball goes off F2s glove, (don't ask me why, he was a good catcher) hits my shin gaurd.
As the ball crosses the plate I know it's a strike, as the ball carems off the catchers mitt I'm thinking punch out, but now it's dropped and I have to get out of the way. As I'm dancing out of the way of the catcher I verbalize plenty loud for catcher and batter to hear "STRIKE" but I don't give strike mechanic. Batter plays statue for about 2 seconds, F2 is hustling to retrieve ball. BR then breaks for 1st and is promptly thrown out.
Off. coach comes to me and says I screwed up and did not indicate strike. I say I verbalized loud enough for batter and catcher to hear. He says yea but I didn't hear. I say you don't need to. and he says sure i do, I have to know so I can tell my batter to run.
What a perfect set-up he gave me. But I maintained control and to keep from letting him see me laugh I just turned and walked away.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
I don't, unless it's low and questionable and then I verbalize.

Interesting dropped third happened to me last week.
Varsity game
2 out bases empty 2-2 count.
F2 set up to outside, pitch comes in down the middle knee high tailing to inside. strike 3. Ball goes off F2s glove, (don't ask me why, he was a good catcher) hits my shin gaurd.
As the ball crosses the plate I know it's a strike, as the ball carems off the catchers mitt I'm thinking punch out, but now it's dropped and I have to get out of the way. As I'm dancing out of the way of the catcher I verbalize plenty loud for catcher and batter to hear "STRIKE" but I don't give strike mechanic. Batter plays statue for about 2 seconds, F2 is hustling to retrieve ball. BR then breaks for 1st and is promptly thrown out.
Off. coach comes to me and says I screwed up and did not indicate strike. I say I verbalized loud enough for batter and catcher to hear. He says yea but I didn't hear. I say you don't need to. and he says sure i do, I have to know so I can tell my batter to run.
What a perfect set-up he gave me. But I maintained control and to keep from letting him see me laugh I just turned and walked away.
There may be some around here who believe: The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the knee cap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball. (OBR) With that in mind, any pitch that crosses that area at any time should be called a strike.

I have a hard time calling a strike (especially strike three) on a pitch that hits me in the shin guards and the catcher has to run to the backstop to get. That pitch should be called to reflect what it looks like.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I only say out on a Called Strike 3.

Swinging... its hand out to the side (strike 3) then a fist close to my chest.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Is there any way to find out who the three umpires were that voted to verbalize "out" on a swinging strike three? Seems we have a few members who need to understand why it's a poor mechanic.

Tim.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
I have a hard time calling a strike (especially strike three) on a pitch that hits me in the shin guards and the catcher has to run to the backstop to get. That pitch should be called to reflect what it looks like.

I don't know about you, but I'm watching the ball, not the catchers form.

I personnally am looking for strikes so all things being equal, if the ball is in the strike zone that's what I'm calling. Good technique by the catcher simply allows me to steal a few strikes.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There may be some around here who believe: The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the knee cap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball. (OBR) With that in mind, any pitch that crosses that area at any time should be called a strike.

I couldn't agree more.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Two times I say something on a swinging strike

1. Half/check swing, no matter what the count: "Yes, he did!" pointing first at the batter and then giving my swinging strike mechanic.

2. Droppped third strike with fewer than two out and first base occupied: "The batter's out! HE'S OUT! First base was occupied at the time of the pitch!" This depends, somewhat on the level of ball I'm calling- I expect varsity high school and Legion to know the rule. Then again, I or my partner wind up having to take some kid off first quite often, even in those games.

Strikes and outs!
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Is there any way to find out who the three umpires were that voted to verbalize "out" on a swinging strike three? Seems we have a few members who need to understand why it's a poor mechanic.
Tim,

You can find out by clicking on the poll result numbers, i.e. the "3" for the 3 voters who voted to verbalize.

While I voted not to verbalize, there is one exception. On obvious swinging 3rd strikes, no verbal. When it is questionable to the participants whether or not the pitch hits the ground, and it is unclear, I will nonchalantly say "he's out" in a conversational tone. No big production, just enough to prevent any unnecessary problems. I do the same thing when 1st base occupied with less than two outs and an uncaught 3rd strike. Just a "batter's out" is preventative officiating.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You and PDX are either idiots (and from other things I read, I doubt this is the case), or are completely or deliberately misunderstanding the sitch posted that got you to respond.

The ball didn't go directly from pitcher, through the zone, to the shinguards. It hit the mitt first. A pitch could be a cockshot and for some reason the catcher flubs it and it hits your shin - you gonna call this a ball?
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

pdx,

You quote, with approbation, leftcoast:

Quote:
No quarrel there, but is there a distinction between making the "expected call" on a ball/strike, versus making the "expected call" on safe/out? It seems one may be permissible, while the other is a question of integrity.

I'm not attempting to be a wise-guy, although I may be doing a good job of it! I'm just learning my way, as the name and post count indicate.

Thanks, all, for a tremendous web site.

Bob James
Virginia

Grateful prayers for the repose of all those heroes who gave this nation the last full measure of devotion.

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue
pdx,

You quote, with approbation, leftcoast:

No quarrel there, but is there a distinction between making the "expected call" on a ball/strike, versus making the "expected call" on safe/out? It seems one may be permissible, while the other is a question of integrity.

I'm not attempting to be a wise-guy, although I may be doing a good job of it! I'm just learning my way, as the name and post count indicate.

Thanks, all, for a tremendous web site.

Bob James
Virginia

Grateful prayers for the repose of all those heroes who gave this nation the last full measure of devotion.
Great catch Rook!!
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ummmm, interesting philosophy, but that's not the sitch here. It clearly says 'a 3d strike that is caught'
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
You and PDX are either idiots (and from other things I read, I doubt this is the case), or are completely or deliberately misunderstanding the sitch posted that got you to respond.

The ball didn't go directly from pitcher, through the zone, to the shinguards. It hit the mitt first. A pitch could be a cockshot and for some reason the catcher flubs it and it hits your shin - you gonna call this a ball?
I'm not going to call a cockshot a ball unless the catcher completely bails out and lets me catch it. But pitches that are on the extreme edges of the zone should be stuck by the catcher to get those calls. Their coaches will even tell them that that's why the umpire didn't call it a strike. "Catch that and it's a strike, meat!" or words to that effect are often heard from the dugout.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25