The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Strange Tournament Rules

I am calling a tournament this weekend and got the tournament rules from the TD's website. Here is one of the tournament rules:

We have instructed the umpires there will be ZERO TOLERANCE towards inappropriate behavior by coaches or fans. PENALTY: EJECTION.

Has any ever encountered such a rule? I will have a nice talk with my UIC before my first game, but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this type of tournament rule.

As a sidebar discussion, what other "strange" tournament rules have you encountered?

NFHS
USSSA
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
I am calling a tournament this weekend and got the tournament rules from the TD's website. Here is one of the tournament rules:

We have instructed the umpires there will be ZERO TOLERANCE towards inappropriate behavior by coaches or fans. PENALTY: EJECTION.

Has any ever encountered such a rule? I will have a nice talk with my UIC before my first game, but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this type of tournament rule.

As a sidebar discussion, what other "strange" tournament rules have you encountered?
Are you saying the "rule" is strange or someone bothering to make it a "rule" since it seems pretty standard to me.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

It seems I can interpret this tournament rule to mean that, if I get a bunch of 12U parents whining about rules they don't know anything about, I can send them to their cars. I don't usually see this type of rule, a rule directed toward the coaches or fans, especially the fans. Last season, the same TD had a rule about coach's ejections (first ejection of season, sit out next game; second ejection of the season; sit out the tournament; third ejection of the season, coach's season is done) but this rule goes another direction entirely. IMO, it allows me a greater discretion as to who I can eject. (If I keep on going, it is going to seem I am hung up on ejecting a coach, which I am not)

Just wanted to know if this is a typical tournament rule.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Looks like the TD has had trouble in the past and could not prove the offenders could be removed, so he/she put it in writing. Still, I would expect the TD to remove spectators, not the umpires, and ejection is an incorrect term for them.