The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
New NCAA Mechanic

As is often the case, I learned something new about mechanics from a coach. Apparently the proper mechanic when you are responsible for a specific runner/base is to focus all your energy on said runner/base and not be aware of anything else in the game.

Sit:

I am U3, rotated (R1 only), base hit, R1 to third, BR in rundown between 1B and 2B (U1 has rotated home with R1's advance), R1 now tries for home and avoids tag with a nice sweep slide away from the catcher. U1 at home is straight-lined and can't see the missed tag, however I have the perfect angle at 2B and overturn call after a conference. Coach can't believe I could see the play because my responsibility was the runner standing on 2B.

Best part of the sit - when coach barked "Who changed that call", and I indicated it was me, he yells across the field, "Get over here" not once but twice; because of course I wasn't moving after he said it the first time, or anytime after that.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

He ordered you to "get over here"? How did you keep him in the game? weren't you a little upset with his tone?
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
He ordered you to "get over here"? How did you keep him in the game? weren't you a little upset with his tone?
I'm sure Wade got enough enjoyment just standing where he was
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
As is often the case, I learned something new about mechanics from a coach. Apparently the proper mechanic when you are responsible for a specific runner/base is to focus all your energy on said runner/base and not be aware of anything else in the game.

Sit:

I am U3, rotated (R1 only), base hit, R1 to third, BR in rundown between 1B and 2B (U1 has rotated home with R1's advance), R1 now tries for home and avoids tag with a nice sweep slide away from the catcher. U1 at home is straight-lined and can't see the missed tag, however I have the perfect angle at 2B and overturn call after a conference. Coach can't believe I could see the play because my responsibility was the runner standing on 2B.

Best part of the sit - when coach barked "Who changed that call", and I indicated it was me, he yells across the field, "Get over here" not once but twice; because of course I wasn't moving after he said it the first time, or anytime after that.
Actually, you cannot overturn any other umpire's call. If he asks, you can provide information that he may have missed, but it is still his decision to accept that information and change his call.

It would seem that U1 had plenty of time to be at home and to manuever to get the necessary angles to make this call. No reason, from your post, that I can see where he shouldn't have been there to make the call, and, if as you say, he was "straightlined and can't see the missed tag," that would also mean that he couldn't see the tag either, in which case his proper call would have been to make a safe call. In which case, there would have been nothing to overturn.

Now to the last part of your post, please tell me that the coach was not there to make that demand a third time!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

And what is it with all of these "Irish" umpires in this thread?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Actually, you cannot overturn any other umpire's call. If he asks, you can provide information that he may have missed, but it is still his decision to accept that information and change his call.

It would seem that U1 had plenty of time to be at home and to manuever to get the necessary angles to make this call. No reason, from your post, that I can see where he shouldn't have been there to make the call, and, if as you say, he was "straightlined and can't see the missed tag," that would also mean that he couldn't see the tag either, in which case his proper call would have been to make a safe call. In which case, there would have been nothing to overturn.

Now to the last part of your post, please tell me that the coach was not there to make that demand a third time!

What if plate umpire felt he/she did not get a good look with the developing play and asked U3 "did you see a tag?" What if U3 did in fact see a tag? Wouldn't that be something to overturn?
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps
What if plate umpire felt he/she did not get a good look with the developing play and asked U3 "did you see a tag?" What if U3 did in fact see a tag? Wouldn't that be something to overturn?
The point is that, per the book, no umpire can overturn another umpire's call. You can provide an umpire that made a call with additional information such that he can change his own call, but you can't change his call for him.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue

Sit:

Wade,
Is this new mechanic to be in next year's manual. I know I'm kinda slow but I just can't find it in this year's manual?
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Help me out, obviously I'm missing something. Why did U1 commit to home and not go to the holding zone between 1st and Home so he could help out in this rundown.

Thanks
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Next time I'm in a pissy mood.. and I'm PU, I'm gonna go to U3 for my call at home and then eject the coach when hes pissed off.

That should cheer me up.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Wade,
Is this new mechanic to be in next year's manual. I know I'm kinda slow but I just can't find it in this year's manual?
well apparently U1 cannot read a manual now... U1 should have been at the point of the plate holding posistion which would allow time to adjust to the ball/runner/player situation... so in this case new manual/mechanic or not everyone must have had a better view than U1... If it is in next years manual god help us all .. hahah
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
The point is that, per the book, no umpire can overturn another umpire's call. You can provide an umpire that made a call with additional information such that he can change his own call, but you can't change his call for him.
One of my favorite quotes of the year...

I'm U1 in a 3-umpire crew. Bases loaded. F2 dropped a ball on a force at the plate, but PU was screened and ruled out. He changed his call after a quick umpire conference. OC approaches and says, "You can't let them overturn your call!" PU responded, "They didn't overturn my call. They provided me with a veritable plethora of additional information."
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
One of my favorite quotes of the year...

I'm U1 in a 3-umpire crew. Bases loaded. F2 dropped a ball on a force at the plate, but PU was screened and ruled out. He changed his call after a quick umpire conference. OC approaches and says, "You can't let them overturn your call!" PU responded, "They didn't overturn my call. They provided me with a veritable plethora of additional information."
Think the coach pulled out a dictionary when s/he got home?