View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
As is often the case, I learned something new about mechanics from a coach. Apparently the proper mechanic when you are responsible for a specific runner/base is to focus all your energy on said runner/base and not be aware of anything else in the game.

Sit:

I am U3, rotated (R1 only), base hit, R1 to third, BR in rundown between 1B and 2B (U1 has rotated home with R1's advance), R1 now tries for home and avoids tag with a nice sweep slide away from the catcher. U1 at home is straight-lined and can't see the missed tag, however I have the perfect angle at 2B and overturn call after a conference. Coach can't believe I could see the play because my responsibility was the runner standing on 2B.

Best part of the sit - when coach barked "Who changed that call", and I indicated it was me, he yells across the field, "Get over here" not once but twice; because of course I wasn't moving after he said it the first time, or anytime after that.
Actually, you cannot overturn any other umpire's call. If he asks, you can provide information that he may have missed, but it is still his decision to accept that information and change his call.

It would seem that U1 had plenty of time to be at home and to manuever to get the necessary angles to make this call. No reason, from your post, that I can see where he shouldn't have been there to make the call, and, if as you say, he was "straightlined and can't see the missed tag," that would also mean that he couldn't see the tag either, in which case his proper call would have been to make a safe call. In which case, there would have been nothing to overturn.

Now to the last part of your post, please tell me that the coach was not there to make that demand a third time!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.