The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Triple checking, AGAIN

It was a pretty basic call on my part but I just really want to check that I was correct. My reasoning for checking is coach and partner both thought I handled it wrong. I think I handled it right.

I am PU on this play.

R1 on 2b. Routine ground ball to F4. R1 moving to 3b. As R1 approaches 3b the F5 gets in her way. I hold my hand out and announce "Obstruction." It was pretty much a formality as the runner wasn't going anywhere else and in my mind the penalty was " she's protected to 3B. The coach then tells her to run home, F1 has the ball now,and tosses it the catcher and they get the runner by 10 feet. I have an out. Coach said runner should get home due to the OBS. I tell coach I had the runner protected to 3B and no more.

Everyone moved on and after game my BU agreed with the coach.

Please tell me I'm not missing something here and that I'm learning my lessons around here.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Sounds right to me. It goes back to what Mike has stated so often; the coaches should coach as if there had been no obstruction, and not try to guess what the award will be. Let the umpires do their job after the play becomes dead.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
It was a pretty basic call on my part but I just really want to check that I was correct. My reasoning for checking is coach and partner both thought I handled it wrong. I think I handled it right.

I am PU on this play.

R1 on 2b. Routine ground ball to F4. R1 moving to 3b. As R1 approaches 3b the F5 gets in her way. I hold my hand out and announce "Obstruction." It was pretty much a formality as the runner wasn't going anywhere else and in my mind the penalty was " she's protected to 3B. The coach then tells her to run home, F1 has the ball now,and tosses it the catcher and they get the runner by 10 feet. I have an out. Coach said runner should get home due to the OBS. I tell coach I had the runner protected to 3B and no more.

Please tell me I'm not missing something here and that I'm learning my lessons around here.
So the runner was obstructed between second and third, correct? And you felt that the runner would not have achieved home had there not been obstruction, right? If you answered yes to both of these, then you, sir, are correct in your ruling.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref

I am PU on this play.

Yeah, what the other guys said.

You made the right call and I hope someone doesn't come on here and tell you, "but if she could have made home" since you have already stated that "in your judgment" she could not and that is the ONLY opinion that counts!
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a minute.

A base runner who has been awarded a base for being obstructed can not be put out bewteen the bases for which she was obstructed.

If she was obstructed and awarded 3B, how can she be put out between 3B and HP if she is between one of the bases that she was obstructed? That goes against the OBS award.

Shouldn't the play have been ruled dead when she was tagged, and the runner put back on 3B?
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Wait a minute.

A base runner who has been awarded a base for being obstructed can not be put out bewteen the bases for which she was obstructed.

If she was obstructed and awarded 3B, how can she be put out between 3B and HP if she is between one of the bases that she was obstructed? That goes against the OBS award.

Shouldn't the play have been ruled dead when she was tagged, and the runner put back on 3B?
Before you start bolding text and 'waiting a minute', perhaps you should go back and re-read the OP.

The runner was OBS'd between 2B and 3B, not 3B and HP.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Before you start bolding text and 'waiting a minute', perhaps you should go back and re-read the OP.

The runner was OBS'd between 2B and 3B, not 3B and HP.
Don't worry, he doesn't need to know the rules, he has thick skin
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
With his acute understanding of the strike zone and handling catchers showing up umpires by having a thick skin, it didnt leave much time to study up on obstruction.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will learn to stop eating while I am on the computer. Thanks, Mike.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Wait a minute.

Nice try. But actually, the rule reads:
Quote:
An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed unless one of the following occurs:
1. The obstructed runner, after being obstructed, safely obtains the base
she would have been awarded, in the umpire’s judgment, had there
been no obstruction and there is a subsequent play on a different
runner. The obstructed runner is no longer protected if she leaves the
base.
2. When another violation is being played upon.
A.R. 9-3c2. A runner who leaves second base too soon on a touched fly ball is returning
after the ball is caught and is obstructed between second and third base. If the runner
would not have returned safely to second base before the throw arriving, she would
remain out.
3. The obstructed runner commits an act of interference.
4. The obstructed runner passes another runner.
5. A proper appeal is made for leaving a base before a fly ball was first
touched.
6. A proper appeal is made for missing a base.
So, as you can see, when the OBS occurred between second and third base, those were the bases that the runner could not be put out between, unless of course any of the above criteria allowed for it.

The OP stated that in his mind the runner was going no further than third as a result of the OBS. Therefore, in his judgement, third is all that she is entitled to. If she advances, then she does so at her own risk.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Nice try. But actually, the rule reads:

The OP stated that in his mind the runner was going no further than third as a result of the OBS. Therefore, in his judgement, third is all that she is entitled to. If she advances, then she does so at her own risk.
That, in a nutshell, is exactly what happened.

I'm relatively new to umpiring,less than 5 years, and I work with LOTS of more experienced blues. I want to believe that they must know more then me. But,*sigh*, I'm finding out alot of them don't.....
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point.