The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I'm relatively new to officiating, so pardon my ignorance. I have a question that I'm sure someone can help me on - three live-ball fouls on the same play on different teams. I tried to find a situation like this explained in the rules and case books, but I haven't had any luck. If you find a situation in the rules or case book please pass along the reference. Example: Illegal substitution on A, illegal hands to the face on A, pass interference on B. Does it matter that the illegal substitution is a on-the-snap foul? What is the enforcement?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

This is a double foul. So long as the play is uncomplicated by a change of possession, all you need is at least one live ball foul on each team. No options given. Replay the down.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Turnover on double foul

Since you mentioned it, let's see if I have the turnover's impact correct. If there is a double foul before the change of possession, replay the down. If one penalty is before and one is after the turnover, then the recovering team has the choice of declining the penalty on A (retain possession), or accept the penalty (replay the down). If this occurs, does A also get an option on the penalty against B? I guess I'm trying to get the penalty enforcement options clear in this situation.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Turnover on double foul

Quote:
Originally posted by Schultj
If this occurs, does A also get an option on the penalty against B?
No he doesn’t. The last sentence of NF 10-2-2 confirms this. “ In this case, the team not last in possession has no options”
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Whenever there is a change of possession and you have a flag on each team, first determine if the team in final possession fouled prior to gaining possession. If so, double foul and replay the down. If not, then they have the option of declining their opponents foul and retaining possession after enforcement of their foul. There are no other options. If they choose to decline their opponent's foul, it is a double foul and replay the down. Remember, the team in final possession may not be B. There could be multiple changes of possession during a down.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Remember, the team in possession at the end of the down had to get the ball "with clean hands". This means that their foul did not happen before the (final) change of possession. If it did happen before they got their mits on the ball, they have no right to keep it as their fould may have helped them get the ball (dirty hands). It's similiar to the philosophy of A having a right to the yardage gained without the aid of a foul when enforcing all but one penalties (fouls by A behind the basic spot). "We'll let you keep possession since you didn't foul prior to getting it, but we'll penalize you before you can set up 1st and 10."
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Of course that changes with PSK. Now the receiving team just has to have "clean hands" until the ball crosses the neutral zone. That means they can foul after the ball crosses the neutral zone and still keep the ball providing PSK enforcement applies. One of the criteria is that K not be in possession at the end of the down. So, if R muffs the kick, and even if their foul assists them in gaining possession, they still have "clean hands."
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify one of the questions, (Aboselli alluded to it) but it may have slipped by some....In the situation that B has clean hands at the change of possesion, they do have to decline their opponents penalty to keep the ball. A, as correctly stated has no options, the penalty on B will be enforced A has no choice. Just a little more specifically pointing out what Aboselli mentioned. A little preventive officiating in the first situation may keep the double foul from occurring, if you can stop the play before the snap for the illegal substition, do so and penalize 5 yds as opposed to the illegal participation or double foul cans of worms...