The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

When is a swing no longer a strike?

Ok pitch is low and away, got a slapper she tucks the bat and runs up in box, R1 stealing 2nd I am BU, I watch as I am running to 2nd and girl still has bat tucked as F2 is reaching into glove to get ball for throw, so I take attention to upcoming play at 2nd.

Now after play at 2nd (safe) the defense is wanting to check a swing, I say "no" and give a safe signal. Defense is upset but we go on, inbetween innings PU is taking a sub from offense and asks coach "did your slapper swing" he says well it was more like a practice swing after the pitch.

Like I said as I am running to cover the steal at 2nd I am watching the action at plate to be able to answer for a checked swing....and she did not move the bat at least till after the catcher had the ball in glove and was starting to pull it out for a throw.

So the question is....when is a swing no longer a strike? FYI there was no intent to interfere with the play on the runner, I know that is a possibility if done "right" but it was so far outside and in the dirt that PU was tracking the ball and the F2 had a clear area to throw the ball.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

USA v OU
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Ya I saw that and it just made me even more curious about this situation. So what type of judgement do you all use for this situation? Or even a delayed swing on a fast pitcher slow batter? At what point do you consider it no longer a strike?
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

When is a pitch no longer a pitch? If it isn't a pitch any more, it cannot be a swing.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

You tell me so when is a pitch no longer a pitch?
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Consider the circumstances of when a pitched ball contacts the batter, but is not a "hit by pitch". Do you agree it's still a pitch if it has forward momentum, and it's still a pitch if it hits the ground?

Do you agree it's NOT hit by pitch if it has stopped forward motion, and it's NOT hit by pitch after it has passed the batter and touched the catcher? If so, why? I submit that it is decided it is no longer a pitch when either of those have occurred, as there is no specific rule that tells you so.

If it's done being a pitch after it passes the batter, has stopped forward motion, and has touched the catcher, then action by the batter that hasn't started by that point cannot be an attempt to strike the pitch. Note that I say "started"; I accept completely that an attempt could be reasonably delayed, but not more delayed than that. At that point you have one of two things if a batter swings; you either have an innocent practice swing, or an "active" attempt to hinder the catcher. And, you have to decide which. But, you don't have a swing attempting to strike a pitched ball.

JMO.