The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Question

I've read about this previously here...just can't remember it: With no one on base and 1 out, Batter checks his swing on a 2-2 pitch in the dirt. Ball rolls to backstop. Ump signals/indicates a 'ball 3'. Once the catcher has retreived the ball, he requests an appeal. On appeal to the field Ump, the call is changed to strike three. Batter is instantly / easily tagged out.

First, what is the proper sequence of events here for the Umps? Was this handled well?

Also, what does a coach instruct his batter to do in this situation? If he runs to first, it looks like he is confirming / acknowledging a swing/strike. If he does not run, he risks being a dead duck.

Thanks!

Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

the best thing to do is to get the call immediately as PU, if he looks as though as he was close on going say, "Yes, he did!"

Otherwise I feel that the BU needs to be able to step up and make the call without the appeal..

It is tough, but I think if you say he swung, you even it up for everyone!
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
I've read about this previously here...just can't remember it: With no one on base and 1 out, Batter checks his swing on a 2-2 pitch in the dirt. Ball rolls to backstop. Ump signals/indicates a 'ball 3'. Once the catcher has retreived the ball, he requests an appeal. On appeal to the field Ump, the call is changed to strike three. Batter is instantly / easily tagged out.

First, what is the proper sequence of events here for the Umps? Was this handled well?

Also, what does a coach instruct his batter to do in this situation? If he runs to first, it looks like he is confirming / acknowledging a swing/strike. If he does not run, he risks being a dead duck.

Thanks!

Professional instruction is that on a check swing and an uncaught pitch with two strikes, the plate umpire should immediately go to his partner for help, without waiting for the catcher or manager to request the appeal.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!

The PU can request help from his partner on a checked swing, ANY TIME. Of course, the sooner the better on a checked swing/passed ball is ideal, but, if it happened that way, you probably wouldn't be asking this question. This also assumes the PU has doubt whether the batter swung at the ball, or the PU is even aware that the batter may have swung at the ball. (Catcher stands up to stop bouncing ball and blocks PU view of batters possible swing)

Now this is ideal however, with less experienced officials, chances are real good that it is not going to happen this way. SOOOOO, as in your case the catcher retrieves the ball then appeals, well , dems the breaks. There is NO rule to prevent this from happening this way. If a catcher is smart enough to realize this and uses it to his advantage, good for him, dems the breaks.

About the only thing a coach can instruct here is make a decision and go with it.

Now , I know most of this it NOT in favor of the batter but, dems the breaks.

The BU has NO Right to offer his/her opinion about the swing , unless asked. To do otherwise, is counter to the rules and gives an advantage to one team, over the other.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone

The BU has NO Right to offer his/her opinion about the swing , unless asked. To do otherwise, is counter to the rules and gives an advantage to one team, over the other.
If you ascribe to OBR rules...

From the MLB Umpire Manual

8.7 "VOLUNTARY STRIKE"
In the situation where the third strike eludes the catcher on a half-swing and the batter-runner is entitled to run to first base, the appeal should be made to the base umpire instantly (without waiting for a request from the defense); but even if the appeal is not instant, the appropriate base umpire should immediately and voluntarily make a call of strike IF the base umpire is going to reverse the plate umpire's call. This will give the batter the immediate opportunity to run.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
Quote:

8.7 "VOLUNTARY STRIKE"
In the situation where the third strike eludes the catcher on a half-swing and the batter-runner is entitled to run to first base, the appeal should be made to the base umpire instantly (without waiting for a request from the defense); but even if the appeal is not instant, the appropriate base umpire should immediately and voluntarily make a call of strike IF the base umpire is going to reverse the plate umpire's call. This will give the batter the immediate opportunity to run.
After further review, the procedure as stated above is the correct as written.

My Bad
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

The PU can request help from his partner on a checked swing, ANY TIME. Of course, the sooner the better on a checked swing/passed ball is ideal, but, if it happened that way, you probably wouldn't be asking this question. This also assumes the PU has doubt whether the batter swung at the ball, or the PU is even aware that the batter may have swung at the ball. (Catcher stands up to stop bouncing ball and blocks PU view of batters possible swing)

Now this is ideal however, with less experienced officials, chances are real good that it is not going to happen this way. SOOOOO, as in your case the catcher retrieves the ball then appeals, well , dems the breaks. There is NO rule to prevent this from happening this way. If a catcher is smart enough to realize this and uses it to his advantage, good for him, dems the breaks.

About the only thing a coach can instruct here is make a decision and go with it.

Now , I know most of this it NOT in favor of the batter but, dems the breaks.

Even though it is against published rule/interpretation, this is one instance where, had I missed the opportunity to appeal earlier, I may just refuse to go down to my partner. So sue me.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
Quote:

8.7 "VOLUNTARY STRIKE"
After further review, the procedure as stated above is the correct as written.

My Bad
You should remember though that this is not for the feint of heart. A BU doing this without discussing it during the umpire pre-game will most likely be scorned by his partner. There will also be the chance of a "discussion" from a coach who doesn't understand this and would be of the mindset that the BU is poaching a call and sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. You and your partner have to be in the same time zone on this one.