The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Okay 1st two weeks of slo-pitch probably could not have gone much smoother than they did. Then I hit this week get a dumbie that goes bananas when I call call him out getting tag after a run-down. I let him speak his peace for about 30 sec then tell him only 1 thing is going to change if he doesnt quiet down and it is not going to be the OUT call.
Then the next night I get a catcher and a pitcher who is belly aching all-night long about the strike/ball calls but not enough to get em ejected more of body and face lanquage thing. So after the game I hear the pitcher yell about how inconsistant I was which I just let fall to deaf ears BUT then I was driving home this jerk pulls along side of me and starts yelling out of his window about how terrible I was. Which I did report to my UIC which he told me I could have there next ball game if I wanted it, kinda a FU thing and he would go on the field with me

So give me some advice you wise vets on when you have a bad week how mentally you get yourself ready for the next and forget the BS from the last games?

Thanks

Don
Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Don:

I always left the game on the field. Every game is a new beginning. If you don't, you'll become as psychotic as the players and managers/coaches.

Bob
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Don,
I don't worry about what ball players think or say - especially guys playing in recreational slow pitch leagues. I do keep a journal of anything unusual that happens in a game - and make a note on what the ruling should have been or what the right mechanic is.

During a game - when trying to keep somebody in an important game - the FYC is another valid game management tool when used infrequently. But I would not intenionally take a game just to get a team/player or to "show" them I can't be intimidated.

As an assignor, I have on 3 occasions redone the schedule when a couple of "bad blood" teams were involved. One of the guys I put in those games is a retired state cop and I partner him with a retired jarhead. Both tend to go a bit overboard on controlling the flow of a game, and putting them together means that these "bad blood" teams are not going to have the chance to build anything nasty in the game.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Don........I would not hesitate to take a game with this team.......IF you were assigned it..........let your UIC/assignor either put you there or not.........

Don't request it or go looking for trouble........but I would never shy away from a game with a team I have a "past history" with......

I would also request that your UIC pass on your "Post Game" activity of this pitcher to the League (him yelling at you on your drive home)........

I will be honest and tell you that known "Butt Head" coaches probably have a shorter leash with me..........

I had my first games this week too............

Just got back from calling the 18U semis and 14U finals and championships...........

My knees and hips hurt.........(but a good kind of hurt).......and my voice is kinda wrecked........(5 games this afternoon and evening).......

I missed on 3 pitches at the plate, and had a position boo-boo's in 3-man..........

Overall........a good Saturday...........

My first game today was with a rookie partner..............He is a young man (19-20)........and he is going to be GOOD...........had good position and presence...........I was impressed..........

The only advice I had for him was when I was PU (18U)and had a pitch behind the batter.........she kinda jump-stepped forward......and I called a ball.......

The batter claimed she got HBP........I did not see it and after checking with him, he confimed that the pitch grazed her on the backside............

He said he did not say anything because he thought it was my call.........

I told him that in certain instances..........(as in a HBP or a ball batted straight down and hits the batter before she has exited the batters-box)......he had equal authority to kill the play............

He understood it immediately..........

He is going to be a Keeper.........

Joel

Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Question

Steve...........

(Adult ball only!) - Would you carry an FYC beyond the game you were calling?

Just curious.........

Joel

And now I am sure we will be innundated with inquiries on what a FYC call is..............grin

But remember.......you started it..............BIG GRIN

Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Joel,
Good question. But, no, not at the start of a new game. Now if the adult team is a real winner/whiner, and THEY remember a previous game - then I'll remember the previous game and will do everything I have to to keep order. In a game where players bring up the past, the FYC may well be the starting point with ejection being the next alternative.

Addition after reading Mike's post -
I accept the FYC call as a tool, but the last time I used it was over 500 games ago. I'm not really a big fan of the philosphy but admit that there are times when it works.

[Edited by Steve M on Mar 17th, 2002 at 11:03 AM]
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Never remember using the FYC philosophy.

I have found that it does nothing more that piss people off and bring you down to their level.

That does not mean I will not put a tighter clamp on a game. If umpires ever started call every little rule in the book, most of the rec games would never get to a 7th inning.

BTW, never shy away from a team or their games. In fact, I enjoy the challenge of dealing with some tough teams. Every one on this board knows how anal I can get about the rules. Well, the teams around here know it too and when they see me, they may not like it, but there won't be any problem I cannot handle.

Also, in this area, an umpire never ceases to be an umpire. Players think that just because the game is over, the umpire's authority ends when they walk off the field. I have no problem ejecting a player while on the field, in the parking lot or driving home. We are lucky to have a county Parks & Rec Dept that supports the umpires and USC ejections carries a minimum 2(1st), 4(2nd) & season(3rd) suspensions. If the act occurs after the game is over, they usually add a game or two depending on the severity of the player/coach's action.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Mar 17th, 2002 at 09:54 AM]
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I lied. While posting on another board, I remembered what you could call a FYC.

It was at a Men's Industrial Nat. The manager of a team from a trucking company from the Cincinnati, OH area started complaining at the pre-game about batters from Honolulu Parks & Rec constantly leaving the batter's box to hit the ball.

I told both coaches in that I would call the rules as written when I see a violation. I must admit, the Hawaii team did come close to the front line of the box, but never stepped out.

The manager of the Ohio team was the catcher and started to complain aloud about their feet. I told him, when I see them step completely outside the box and make contact, I will be more than happy to make the call. After an inning or two of hearing "come on, blue, watch their feet", I decided I would give him what he wanted. With three balls on the batter at the top of the inning, the pitch came in and I made no call. The catcher (manager) asked what the pitch was. I told him I couldn't call it a strike because I didn't see it. When he asked how that was possible, I told him I was doing what he asked, watching the batter's feet.

He just smiled and when the pitcher complained about the call, the catcher told him to shut up, it was a ball.

Never heard another word from him. I did, however, have an out of the box call on one of the Hawaii batters for stepping on the plate.

Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool FYC call

I have too use the FYC once that I knowingly used it. A pitcher had been belly aching for a few inning and I had all I was going to listen too so I waited for that perfect pitch thigh high on the batter and right over the middle of the plate, I stepped back gave one of those goto H#@l (Joel) stares and said "BALL". I have to gave the pitcher credit because he did pick up the message and said "I understand Blue" never heard another peep rest of the game. I have squeezed and widen strike zone in some other situation but never such a direct FYC call which in this instance it did work

Don
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Wink

Somebody email me and tell me what 'FYC' is. I know I've used it, but my mind is brain dead on what the initials stand for.

[email protected]
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Elaine,
I'll just post it here so it's there for anyone else. FYC is an "F you call" - I trust that all can figger out what the F is.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Cool Just a clue

Elaine if I said this "F" word out loud when you were umping you would eject me on the spot. Now put it together with what Steve gave you and that the FYC

Don

Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Lightbulb

I've got it now! Yes, I do believe I have used this tactic a few times! LOL
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995