View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Never remember using the FYC philosophy.

I have found that it does nothing more that piss people off and bring you down to their level.

That does not mean I will not put a tighter clamp on a game. If umpires ever started call every little rule in the book, most of the rec games would never get to a 7th inning.

BTW, never shy away from a team or their games. In fact, I enjoy the challenge of dealing with some tough teams. Every one on this board knows how anal I can get about the rules. Well, the teams around here know it too and when they see me, they may not like it, but there won't be any problem I cannot handle.

Also, in this area, an umpire never ceases to be an umpire. Players think that just because the game is over, the umpire's authority ends when they walk off the field. I have no problem ejecting a player while on the field, in the parking lot or driving home. We are lucky to have a county Parks & Rec Dept that supports the umpires and USC ejections carries a minimum 2(1st), 4(2nd) & season(3rd) suspensions. If the act occurs after the game is over, they usually add a game or two depending on the severity of the player/coach's action.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Mar 17th, 2002 at 09:54 AM]