The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

With tournament season on us I was just wondering if anyone had any suggesttions on good books to read during those off times. Umpire autobiography or biograghys or the like. Any suggestions?
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

Read your case book, talk situations to other umpires, nap, take a shower, watch umpire videos. You can order videos from ASA.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Elaine. If you keep an umpiring journal, read through that too - 'cuz in it you'll keep notes on the problems that you seen and the solutions.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Question: Have any of you order the videos through ASA and did you find them helpful. I am thinking about ordering the fast-pitch plate mechanics and or the 2 and 3 men CD mechanics. Would like any opinions of they are worth the bucks?

Thanks

Don
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

The teaching in the videos is very good.

While the instructors are the experts in the topics, many of them are stiff and very camera conscious, making it difficult to suffer through.

Production values are amateurish. Basically, they are videotapes of actual classroom instruction at actual umpire schools. The visual aids are sometimes hard to read, and are mostly direct camera filming of the white board.

If anyone from ASA Training reads this board, here are my suggestions:

Spring for a 2 camera setup with professional camera operators. Buy some professional instruction videos on other topics and see how they do it.

Do a special "for video" teaching, not just an ordinary classroom session.

Select the teachers not just for their reputation as umpires or umpires instructors, but also for their camera presense.

Edit-in the visual aids from computer-generated graphics (like powerpoint). Don't think you have to keep the viewer's attention always on the instructor. Most of the time, the information he is presenting is contained in his voice-over, and the viewer would be better served looking at some well-prepared computer illustrations.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Well i guess I probaly was not clear engough I do read case books, rule books and the like. call Fed, ASA, NCAA, What I am looking for rec reading just for fun. Looking for some major league umpire autobiogarhy or the like just for entertainment.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

By your post, do you mean you didn't learn enough from that insightful meeting last night?

Gary
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Gary

I guess I missed most of that insightful stuff I was too busy chatting in back of the room.

Have you heard from Chris yet today he said last night he would let us know today for the schedule this weekend?

Have a good one

Don
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

No, I haven't heard from Chris. He told me that he was going to call late last night - but.... If he needs help, he better get back to people asap. With all of the HS games plus the rainouts today, Saturday will be very busy.
You may get broken in doing HS with me this weekend!!