View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I lied. While posting on another board, I remembered what you could call a FYC.

It was at a Men's Industrial Nat. The manager of a team from a trucking company from the Cincinnati, OH area started complaining at the pre-game about batters from Honolulu Parks & Rec constantly leaving the batter's box to hit the ball.

I told both coaches in that I would call the rules as written when I see a violation. I must admit, the Hawaii team did come close to the front line of the box, but never stepped out.

The manager of the Ohio team was the catcher and started to complain aloud about their feet. I told him, when I see them step completely outside the box and make contact, I will be more than happy to make the call. After an inning or two of hearing "come on, blue, watch their feet", I decided I would give him what he wanted. With three balls on the batter at the top of the inning, the pitch came in and I made no call. The catcher (manager) asked what the pitch was. I told him I couldn't call it a strike because I didn't see it. When he asked how that was possible, I told him I was doing what he asked, watching the batter's feet.

He just smiled and when the pitcher complained about the call, the catcher told him to shut up, it was a ball.

Never heard another word from him. I did, however, have an out of the box call on one of the Hawaii batters for stepping on the plate.