The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction Mechanics

R1 on second, B2 hits grounder to F4, R1 and F6 bump, I call obstruction and signal DDB as I am running toward first to make call on the throw. R1 was safe at third since the throw was to first.

How long should I have kept my arm extended while running toward first? I would have looked stupid running with my arm extended until I made the out call at first. On the other hand, I have looked stupid before.

Thanks for the help.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

One school of thought on this says long enough for all participants to have had the opportunity to see it.

The other school of thought is that you should hold it as long as you are protecting the runner.

I subscribe to the first.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 03:04pm.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4
R1 on second, B2 hits grounder to F4, R1 and F6 bump, I call obstruction and signal DDB as I am running toward first to make call on the throw. R1 was safe at third since the throw was to first.

How long should I have kept my arm extended while running toward first? I would have looked stupid running with my arm extended until I made the out call at first. On the other hand, I have looked stupid before.

Thanks for the help.
I'm with Scott to a point. If you need to move, keep it out long enough for all concerned to see it.

If you are in a position where you don't need to "run" across the field, it certainly isn't going to look silly if you keep it out a little longer.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem following the protected runner with my arm extended, in this case, I was running in the opposite direction.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm not at a full run, I figure 4-6 seconds is long enough to hold it out there. Someone is bound to spot it in that time. I'm not going to hold it out for the entire length of the play.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no problem following the protected runner with my arm extended, in this case, I was running in the opposite direction.
I don't even do that. I agree with Scott above.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Put me with the gang that agree with Scott - but Mike's explanation or qualification is more what I do. If I'm not moving more than a step or two, I'll keep it out a little longer.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feed back. This forum is great.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Forgive the question, but I'm having a hard time picturing this - R1 on second, so you should be in C. Ground ball to F4, R1 moving in front of you. How far are you running?? You still want to be in position to turn if they try to make a play on R1 at 3rd - no?? The way I see this is a few steps to improve angle and get set to make the call.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kono
Forgive the question, but I'm having a hard time picturing this - R1 on second, so you should be in C. Ground ball to F4, R1 moving in front of you. How far are you running?? You still want to be in position to turn if they try to make a play on R1 at 3rd - no?? The way I see this is a few steps to improve angle and get set to make the call.

In this play, the way that I imagine it, with the ground ball to 2nd, she may check to see R1 but once she comits to the play at 1st you get as close to that play as possible. The rerturn throw to 3rd is the PU's call. And even if the F4 goes to 3rd on the play the runner will be safe.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Kono,

You are correct about being in the C position. I made several more than 2 or 3 steps before I made the call.