The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

In NFHS, the ball is dead at the end of all playing action when obstruction occurs.

My question is: what happens if a runner that is obstructed is obviously tagged out before he reaches the base you are giving him? What do you signal? A simple safe mechanic? Is there another? What do you say when this happens?

I know in OBR when this happens, the play is dead right there. How do we handle this in NFHS?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
In NFHS, the ball is dead at the end of all playing action when obstruction occurs.

My question is: what happens if a runner that is obstructed is obviously tagged out before he reaches the base you are giving him? What do you signal? A simple safe mechanic? Is there another? What do you say when this happens?

I know in OBR when this happens, the play is dead right there. How do we handle this in NFHS?
Announce "Thats Obstruction" when it happens. Give and hold signal.(delayed dead ball)

Wait to all playing action is over then say "Time, I have obstruction on (defensive player)", and award bases accordingly.

[Edited by jicecone on Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:13 PM]
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

Announce "Thats Obstruction" when it happens. Give and hold signal.

Wait to all playing action is over then say "Time, I have obstruction on (defensive player)", and award bases accordingly.

Yes, this one i allready know. I'm talking about when they make a play on the runner being obstructed before all playing action is over. The tag is applied and people are looking at me for safe or out. What do we do in this instance? Same thing?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bossman72
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, this one i allready know. I'm talking about when they make a play on the runner being obstructed before all playing action is over. The tag is applied and people are looking at me for safe or out. What do we do in this instance?
If he was safe I signal SAFE and that pretty much ends all discussion. If he was out, and the playing action is not over, I point at the bag and emphatically tell the runner to "stay there" and then wait for playing action to be over. When it is, I explain to all why the runner is awarded the base at which he appeared to be out.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Just came back from our state Officials Conference in Columbus, Ohio. This very question was posed to the State Rules interpreter and he " suggested " that you signal the out and immediatey call time when all playing action is over and award the Obstruction base(s). I like DG's idea about telling the runner to stay put until all playing action is over and then award base(s) as is necessary.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Announce "Thats Obstruction" when it happens. Give and hold signal.(delayed dead ball)

[Edited by jicecone on Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:13 PM]
I would let the situation decide my call. If this is the only runner, manage as in OBR. Call time, and award the base.

If there are multiple runners then I would make the call as is, call the player out and let the play continue.

Of course you have the question of say a runner obstructed going to second and a runner is coming home. What is F4 or F6 throws the ball away?

You can still give the runner the base you think he would have gotten had there been no obstruction - which could be either second or third etc.,

Basically it comes to umpires judgement.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

What if the out you call on the presumably protected runner is the third out of the inning? I can envision the defense relaxing and start to proceed to their dugout. IMLEO (LE=limited experience), I would signal safe and say loudly that the runner is protected to 'insert base here'. The defense would then know to continue to defend.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I believe this discussion came up in a previous thread that I can't locate.

Bob Jenkins, whom I consider highly knowledgeable on NFHS rules answered this, but again I can't find the thread.

In most cases the ball will become dead after the tag of the player and therefore the safe or out call would not be necessary, because you would be announcing and awarding the obstruction.

In cases where there is continuning action, rule accordingly and rectify the situation at the completion of playing action. If your call puts the runner in jeapordy or if the runner could have advanced but didnt because you called him out, then you will award and rectify accordingly.

I'm not so sure about given the player directions but, the again if it helps to eliminate confusion , maybe its not all that bad.