The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I had a play last night in a FED game that reminded me a lot of the play that happened at the CWS last year where the plate umpire had the bang bang obstruction play. B1 rounds third and ball is coming in from left field. Catcher is blocking the plate and almost simultaneously R1 stutter steps, and drops for the slide as ball comes in for the apparent out (apparent for anyone that does not know the rules that is) I have no doubt I got the call right but I am not so sure I sold it correctly. Since it happened all at the same time I basically just threw up 1 arm and loudly stated "Safe Obstruction" Was this the proper mechanic for this?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I'm doing it "technically" right either, but here's my mechanic. Since the ball is dead when an obstructed runner is played on, and this all happened about at the same time, my first move is - hands up, very loud, "DEAD BALL", then slightly less loud while pointing at the catcher, "That's obstruction, runner is awarded home" (and then watch to make sure she touches if she has not already).

I've seen others in the area call the out, and then announce the obstruction. To me it looks odd, and invariably you have to explain it to both coaches and likely the scorekeeper. With my mechanic, I almost never get questioned or have to explain anything - the call is clear to everyone who needs to know it.

(Edited to add: ) by the way, the arm out mechanic is to tell others you have a Delayed Dead Ball. In this case, you have no delayed dead ball, just a dead ball (or if you do, it's delayed for milliseconds). So the arm out mechanic is not necessary.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I am thinking 1) left arm out immediately when catcher blocks the plate -"OBSTRUCTION" 2) If safe call "SAFE", If a clear out "TIME- SAFE ON THE OBSTRUCTION"
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Edited to add: ) by the way, the arm out mechanic is to tell others you have a Delayed Dead Ball. In this case, you have no delayed dead ball, just a dead ball (or if you do, it's delayed for milliseconds). So the arm out mechanic is not necessary.
That is almost what I was thinking, That is the reason it seemed odd because to everyone else it appears as if I just called safe because the see an arm out. It becomes habit because obstruction is normally a DDB situation but actually in this situation I do like your mechanic better.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have had the situation a couple of times this year with the obstruction at the plate and on the bags.
What I have done is:

Hands up; DEAD BALL
THAT'S OBSTRUCTION, RUNNER IS AWARDED .......

I don't know that this is technically correct but I sure havn't been given any grief about it.
Did have a few coaches question the OBS call but not the way we handled it.

We are more than halfway through our High School season here and the coaches are catching on to the new OBS rule implementation.
It is becoming less and less of a problem as compared to the first couple of weeks.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

mcrowder - I'm not sure I'm doing it "technically" right either, but here's my mechanic. Since the ball is dead when an obstructed runner is played on, and this all happened about at the same time, my first move is - hands up, very loud, "DEAD BALL", then slightly less loud while pointing at the catcher, "That's obstruction, runner is awarded home" (and then watch to make sure she touches if she has not already).

You statement is a little incorrect the ball only becomes dead if the obstructed runner is put out on the play otherwise the ball remains alive.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

We have an out .
There is obstruction.
The arm is to let players in the immediate vicinity know there is obstruction so if you dont have time its no big deal .As soon as there is a stutter step arm goes out , play is made .
Come up with dead ball , obstruction runner awarded home .
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Woodchuck - did you actually read the initial post?

It said, "R1 stutter steps, and drops for the slide as ball comes in for the apparent out". My statement is not incorrect - the ball is dead, not delayed dead, in this situation (for exactly the reason you describe --- "the ball only becomes dead if the obstructed runner is put out on the play")
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Debeau - the arm going out is the "Delayed Dead Ball" signal, not the "Obstruction" signal. You had a delayed dead ball for milliseconds - then just a dead ball. It makes more sense to everyone if you simply call it a dead ball.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

from Dukat - I had a play last night in a FED game that reminded me a lot of the play that happened at the CWS last year where the plate umpire had the bang bang obstruction play. B1 rounds third and ball is coming in from left field. Catcher is blocking the plate and almost simultaneously R1 stutter steps, and drops for the slide as ball comes in for the apparent out (apparent for anyone that does not know the rules that is) I have no doubt I got the call right but I am not so sure I sold it correctly. Since it happened all at the same time I basically just threw up 1 arm and loudly stated "Safe Obstruction" Was this the proper mechanic for this?

Selling the call correctly - I do not know that you could possibly make or sell the call more correctly than the play at last year's CWS. Throw the arm up and if the runner is put out, call Dead Ball. Turn, if need be, and point directly at the player who obstructed and say something like "Obstruction on the catcher. The runner is awarded home." Make sure that you look AND sound absolutely sure of yourself when you do this. Your appearance and sound will determine how much, if nay, heat that you get for making what you believe to be the right call.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

mccrowder
Very true
My point was the corrrect mechanics .
In this case there would have been no time .
Dead ball immediatly .
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 06:56am
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Woodchuck - did you actually read the initial post?

It said, "R1 stutter steps, and drops for the slide as ball comes in for the apparent out". My statement is not incorrect - the ball is dead, not delayed dead, in this situation (for exactly the reason you describe --- "the ball only becomes dead if the obstructed runner is put out on the play")
Actually, Woodchuck's statement is correct. As Woodchuck stated, it is a dead ball only if the obstructed runner is played on and she is out. If the obstructed runner is played on, and she is ruled safe (without the award), you simply drop your arm (or in this case, nothing, since it happened so quick, you never got your arm out to signal DDB), and the ball remains LIVE.

Didn't mean to cause waves. As for Dukat's mechanics; the "technical" mechanics is like what most have stated. If time, stick left arm out (to signal DDB), then when play is on obstructed runner (and ruled out), give a DEAD BALL signal (both arms up), and voice "Dead Ball. Obstruction on catcher (or whichever fielder). Runner awarded home (or, whichever base awarded)." Hope this helps.

Serg