The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Curious how you would handle the calls when the umpire calling obstruction does not have the end of the play.

R1 on 2B, hard hit ball through the middle to the left of 2B. F6 goes towards 2B, R1 goes towards 3B; they collide and go down.

BU judges that F6 had no play on the ball, thus left arm goes out. Now what?

In normal 2-man with the ball now in the outfield, BU should come inside and take the B-R. PU should have the play at 3B or Home, depending on the throw from the outfield.

In our play, R1 gets up and continues to 3B; F8 throws to F5 in time to retire R1. Does the PU call the out? Or (having seen his partner’s arm out) does PU call Time and award the obstruction? Then the BU determines where to place the B-R based on where she was (between 1B and 2B) when time was called.

OR – does the PU call time and conference with the BU to make sure they are both on the same page before any calls are made?

OR – does the BU take the play that he started to the end? Does he follow the play to 3B and the PU takes the B-R?

WMB
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Speaking off the cuff, without any manuals in front of me, I would have the following:

Umpires have to continue with their assignments as though no obstruction occurred, therefor, PU has the call at third and kills the play and has the option of awarding or conferencing depending on how much of the play s/he saw. I, as the PU, would only award what I could discern for myself. If my attention was elsewhere, possible trap catch for example, and only knew of the obstruction because my partner made a nice verbal 'obstruction' call along with her/his signal, then I am absolutely going to my partner to determine the appropriate location to put the runner(s). A good crew will also make eye contact following the call as the BU moves to take the BR so that they are both aware of each others awareness of the situation. If the BU feels that the PU is out to lunch, then I would expect the BU to kill the play, from her/his normal location as they track the BR and step in to award as necessary.

What I am getting at in general, is that any umpire with all the information can place the runner(s) when that runner becomes her/his responsibility, but should always consult if they are missing a piece of the puzzle.

Additionally, your example was for two-man mechanics in which runners are less likely to move from the responsibility of the BU to the PU. Also, the plate umpire has everything in front of her/him and will typically be able to make the ruling immediately. I think you are more likely to see this with three-man mechanics when U1 rotates to the plate and has a call on an obstructed runner. It is also more likely that s/he will not have seen the actual obstruction because her/his primary responsibilities are in fact away from where the obstruction is most likely to occur thereby requiring all umpires to conference and determine the appropriate location(s) for the runner(s).

Finally, I would add that any time an umpire not making the obstruction call kills the play; if there is any question from either bench, I will conference to be certain that we get the call right. And it just looks good, too.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

This play is more simple, in that the play was made at a base protected by rule. I agree that we must follow standard mechanics, and PU makes the call at 3rd. Simple call, as R1 is protected to 3rd.

Where this gets dicey is when the subsequent play is made at home. It is now not so obvious that we have R1 protected to that base. But, I think I have the same response to the mechanic; we stay with standard mechanics, and the umpire responsible to call at the plate (PU if 2 man, U1 if 3 man) must use his judgment and make his call. If BU (or U3) would have protection to home and the calling umpire rules "out", then the BU needs to call "Time" and advise PU that R1 is protected to home. If calling ump kills the play at the plate, and BU didn't see protection to home, then BU must assume PU saw more after he switched his coverage to BR, and accept that call.

If PU then decides to conference (generally as a result of coach request), then discuss and resolve. But, keep your mechanics, and calling ump makes his call.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

PU calls the play s/he sees. If OBS is still in effect, the umpire making the call will call time, inform partner of the ruling and assign runners to appropriate base.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I believe that R-1 is protected by the delayed-dead-ball call as far as third base, so if the runner takes off or home, then her protection ends, even if she were to stop and return to third.
As far as mechanics are concerned, responsibility wouldn't change.
After the play discuss the options, inforce them, and move on.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by booker227
I believe that R-1 is protected by the delayed-dead-ball call as far as third base, so if the runner takes off or home, then her protection ends, even if she were to stop and return to third.
Speaking ASA, the protection extends as far as the judgment of the umpire(s) say in extends. 3B is neither automatic nor limiting.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I am still not sure that I have a clear answer.

When an umpire judges obstruction, that umpire normally also judges protection, though they may have to wait for the end of the play to finalize their protection judgment. Ie., when a runner is knocked off route and is “out by a mile,” send runner back. Runner is knocked down, gets up, and is out on a close play, keep her at that base. Also has to determine the maximum protected base so that if a runner is out after that point, they stay out.

But what happens when the umpire calling obstruction, by following standard mechanics, does not see the end of the play? Do they transfer the protection responsibility to their partner?

Or should your partner simply call “Time,” come to you and say, “your obstructed runner was out. What do you want me to do?”

WMB
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

In that situation, protection is only afforded the runner into third base. The proper mechanic in multiply runners for the PU to take the lead runner going into third, so the PU needs to jog up the third base line and into position to make the call at third while the BU comes inside for any play behind the lead runner and to cover any play at home. More or less, they switch positions and responsibilties. If R1 rounds third makes for home, then the protection for her ends, and you would cover as described above. If she is safe at third there is no obstruction, and if she is out, the obstruction makes her safe. The BU has the obstruction call, but the PU has the call at third. I have always done obstruction as a sgnal, so as not to interfere with any play that might happen. Let the play end, then make all calls, and then, if the obstruction comes into play....protection for the runner at third...etc. discuss and enforce.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In that situation, protection is only afforded the runner into third base. The proper mechanic in multiply runners for the PU to take the lead runner going into third, so the PU needs to jog up the third base line and into position to make the call at third while the BU comes inside for any play behind the lead runner and to cover any play at home. More or less, they switch positions and responsibilties. If R1 rounds third makes for home, then the protection for her ends, and you would cover as described above. If she is safe at third there is no obstruction, and if she is out, the obstruction makes her safe. The BU has the obstruction call, but the PU has the call at third. I have always done obstruction as a sgnal, so as not to interfere with any play that might happen. Let the play end, then make all calls, and then, if the obstruction comes into play....protection for the runner at third...etc. discuss and enforce.

Just a question,
What rule and mechanics book are you reading for this?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In that situation, protection is only afforded the runner into third base.
Why do you say that? What about the situation makes you conclude that?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

When an umpire judges obstruction, that umpire normally also judges protection, though they may have to wait for the end of the play to finalize their protection judgment. Ie., when a runner is knocked off route and is “out by a mile,” send runner back. Runner is knocked down, gets up, and is out on a close play, keep her at that base.
Speaking ASA, this is not necessarily true. You cannot determine base awards relying solely on how badly an obstructed runner was put out. Just because s/he was put out "by a mile" does NOT mean you send the runner back. It may mean that the runner just took longer to you anticipated getting up after being knocked down. I believe this is part of the reason the umpire needs to make some sort of determination at the time of the OBS.
Quote:

Also has to determine the maximum protected base so that if a runner is out after that point, they stay out.

But what happens when the umpire calling obstruction, by following standard mechanics, does not see the end of the play? Do they transfer the protection responsibility to their partner?

Or should your partner simply call “Time,” come to you and say, “your obstructed runner was out. What do you want me to do?”

WMB
I did answer this question. The umpire which calls the obstruction is the only person on that field who knows to which base the obstructed runner was protected. This is why all other umpires who did not rule obstruction, simply call what they see.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I also believe my response answered the question. What part did I not address?