The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Finally

I will be having my first games of the season (a tripleheader!) on Saturday. I did have a game scheduled a couple weeks back, but with snow on the ground I knew well ahead of time that there was no way we would be playing. One of the oddities of the season up here is that the schools start playing about a week before spring break, then have a one week hiatus during the break. DD had her season opener cancelled, and she just got her first game in on this past Monday.

Forecast for Saturday is a high of 45 with a high probability of rain. I may or may not be sporting a jacket.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
One of the oddities of the season up here...
Indiana isn't up there. Trust me. I'm from Ohio!

Indiana is over there.

Michigan and Canada are up there!.

Anything south of the Ohio River is down there.

The left and right coasts are out there.

Sounds like your season starts the same as ours, only our schools do schedule games over spring break. They also have a propensity for either cancelling them (because all the kids are out of town and they can't field a team) or having them be cancelled (due to crappy spring weather) and not bothering to notify the umpires (because all the school administrators are out of town, too).

Pretty much the entire first week of our season was rained out, though I did get one game in on a dry day- with a 38 degree game time temperature and gusting 30 mph winds.

This week was a different story. Every day has been picture perfect spring. 70's and sunny, dry as a bone. The ultimate umpiring weather!

Like for you guys over there, cold and rain is on the way again.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Cut me a little slack Bret! While I will never be able to refrain from saying "y'all", at least I can usually refrain from laughing whenever I order a "pop". Though I am getting fed up when people over here call tortillas "soft shells" and ground beef "taco meat". I prefer lengua or tripas en mis tacos, thank you very much.

We are supposed to hit 60 today before another front comes through on its way over there. I believe that will make it our warmest day since...oh, last October sometime.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Michigan and Canada are up there!.
I'm feeling left out.

Already had one game rescheduled due to rain/snow mix. I expect the same to happen with this afternoon's game and tomorrow's game. Oh, well, at least we don't have 90's in February (like that TX oven I used to live in).

I do wonder, though, if short term temperature trends are indicators of global climate calamity, does this mean we're now done with global warming and we're back to the ice age scare of the 70's?