The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I know if the BR is the third out and is called out before having reached 1B no runs can score. My question is what if BR only touches the white base, over runs 1B and F3 appeals that BR missed 1B. BR is called out but if R1 was on 3B and scored
during this play would R1 run count? Is touching the white base and being called out on appeal the same as actually missing the base?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Same as missing the base; same as being thrown out at 1B on a ground ball. No run.

I did an NSA tournament at the end of last year and made sure I read up on their rules, since I usually do ASA. One difference in NSA is that there is no appeal for hitting only the white base. The runner is simply called out.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

In the Netherlands we play with ISF/ESF-rules and according to rule 5.07b2: A run shall not be scored if the third out of the inning is a result of a runner being forced out (including on an appeal play) due to the batter becoming a batter-runner.

I would, therfore, count the run if not all bases were loaded...

Please correct me if I'm wrong,
love Alex
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Alex,

but the BR has not yet legally touched first base. So you need to look at
ISF Rule 5 Sec 7.b.
1 The batter-runner being put out before legally touching first base.

So if that would be the third out, also in ISF the run does not count.

Cheers from Germany

Raoul
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

No Run
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chasbo
I know if the BR is the third out and is called out before having reached 1B no runs can score. My question is what if BR only touches the white base, over runs 1B and F3 appeals that BR missed 1B. BR is called out but if R1 was on 3B and scored
during this play would R1 run count? Is touching the white base and being called out on appeal the same as actually missing the base?
It depends, actually, on whether a play was being made on the runner. That is the major factor here. If there was no play being made on the runner at first, then it is entirely acceptable for them to use the white or orange base.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by chasbo
It depends, actually, on whether a play was being made on the runner. That is the major factor here. If there was no play being made on the runner at first, then it is entirely acceptable for them to use the white or orange base.
Good call!

Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Yes that is true, but the sit. stated that the BR was called out (on the appeal)!

Quote:
My question is what if BR only touches the white base, over runs 1B and F3 appeals that BR missed 1B. BR is called out ...
Raoul
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

No run scores when the 3rd out is on the BR prior to reaching 1st base.

No run scores when the 3rd out is a force due to the batter becoming a BR.

No run scores when the 3rd out (or 4th out) is a live or dead ball appeal of either of the above due to missing the base.

If the umpire allowed the appeal, no run scores.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3
Yes that is true, but the sit. stated that the BR was called out (on the appeal)!

Quote:
My question is what if BR only touches the white base, over runs 1B and F3 appeals that BR missed 1B. BR is called out ...
Raoul
Now you're assuming the umpire was right It is a good assumption.

I think Scott's point was that it is possible for a BR to not believe a play is being made and an after-the-fact throw is whipped toward 1B in an attempt to get the call if they saw or suspect the BR hit the wrong bag. Especially since this must be a live ball appeal unless the runner advanced farther without returning to touch 1B.

If you want to get picky, you could also bring up the argument that it was possible the throw came from foul territory thus allowing the BR to hit the white bag legally.

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I think Scott's point was that it is possible for a BR to not believe a play is being made and an after-the-fact throw is whipped toward 1B in an attempt to get the call if they saw or suspect the BR hit the wrong bag. Especially since this must be a live ball appeal unless the runner advanced farther without returning to touch 1B.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.