The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

In the church league in which I play, we have 1 referee who counts out loud (I assume he's doing the hand count as well) after handing the ball to a player for inbounds play. I've never noticed a trained, professional referee do this. I didn't say anything to him (no need making waves) but doesn't this give the inbounding team an unfair advantage by loudly and audibly warning the player to get rid of the ball? What is the accepted means by which to count off 5 seconds?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I don't know that there's any advantage gained. But it's not the properly mechanic.

Perhaps he thinks you wannabees need the help.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

No verbage necessary when counting off 5 or 10 seconds.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

An audible count is only permitted when you ensure the count is understood by all. For example, one, uno, hana, eins, un; two, dos, dool, zwei, deux; three, tres, sae, drei, trois; etc....

I have found it best to take the microphone from the announcer guy and poll the audience to ensure you have all languages covered, then ask GM to advise you if anyone enters the gym after your announcement that would require an additional language to be verbally represented.

USOST - 1
All others - 0
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I don't know that there's any advantage gained. But it's not the properly mechanic.

Perhaps he thinks you wannabees need the help.
OUCH!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 06:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Not a mechanic plus it draws attention to him, not good. Besides, if I did count out loud, it's another thing I might mess up!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
An audible count is only permitted when you ensure the count is understood by all. For example, one, uno, hana, eins, un; two, dos, dool, zwei, deux; three, tres, sae, drei, trois; etc....

I have found it best to take the microphone from the announcer guy and poll the audience to ensure you have all languages covered, then ask GM to advise you if anyone enters the gym after your announcement that would require an additional language to be verbally represented.

USOST - 1
All others - 0
Don't forget pig latin and mime. Oh wait - we already use mime.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

As a "professional trained" official, I don't count audibly. I have enough trouble giving a visible count and walking at the same time.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Last night in a boys varsity game the visiting fans were trying to help their team by calling off the count during a closely guarded count. The problem was everyone had a different count going. It almost confused me a couple of times to hear five different people cal out five different numbers. It gave no help to the players either.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had a freshman boy counting off the 5 second inbounds count against his opponent, and he was doing it a lot faster than my visible hand count. I told him that I'll do the counting and if he continued, I would consider it a form of taunting or unsporting conduct. He stopped.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Tell him to read the rule book:

SECTION 7 OFFICIALS' GENERAL DUTIES
The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes:

ART. 9 . . . Silently and visibly counting seconds to administer the throw-in (7-6), free-throw (8-4; 9-1-3), backcourt (9-8) and closely-guarded (9-10) rules.

Silently and visibly emphasised.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertclasalle
I had a freshman boy counting off the 5 second inbounds count against his opponent, and he was doing it a lot faster than my visible hand count. I told him that I'll do the counting and if he continued, I would consider it a form of taunting or unsporting conduct. He stopped.
Had this happen a couple of weeks ago in BJV game. H inbounding in front of visitor's bench. V coach gets very vocal when his player (counting quickly) gets to 5 and I'm not at 5. Told the coach that I have the count and to tell his player to knock it off.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I use an audible count on an inbouds when I've had younger level(5th/6th)games. I've found it helps keep them from going to sleep. I never used on a closely guarded or 10 second count, though even at that level. I did tend to count slower.... and in total blowout games when it was the losing team my clock had a way of going rrrreeeeaaaalllllyyy slow on all counts. Both coaches always understood and never commented. Anything above that level they should know how to play and I would never do it.