The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Correctable Mistake?

I had a friend of mine send this to me:

"Batter is in the batter's box thinking she has 1 ball and 2 strikes. The behind the plate umpire says 1 & 1. Batter backs out of the box and asks the umpire, "Whats the count". He says "1 ball & 1 strike" where many hear him including the batter and the offensive coach. Pitch is thrown called strike on the outside part of the plate. Umpire says strike 2. The defensive team complains that this was strike 3. Batter reminds umpire he had just told her 1 & 1 not once but twice. Umpire checks with other umpire. Short discussion. Strike 3 batter is out.

What would you do? "

I told him that if I had indeed messed up the count and it was supposed to be strike 3 and my partner knew there was no doubt of the fact it should have been strike 3 then I would let the out stand. Agree/Disagree?

FYI...Obviously I would not be calling "Strike 1" or "Strike 2" in my strike call verbally in the first place but that is beside the point
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

"it" happens !
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable until next pitch thrown... No?
Once the ump said and comfirmed 1 strike - there was only 1 strike. Sorta like "too late" for an appeal. Discussion and correction should have come then. Batter took the based based on info given and confirmed.
Strike 2, batter still up.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Once the ump said and comfirmed 1 strike - there was only 1 strike. Sorta like "too late" for an appeal. Discussion and correction should have come then. Batter took the based based on info given and confirmed.
ix-nay. If it's strike three it's strike three. If an umpire is stupid enough to say "strike one" or "strike two," he has three strikes against him, so to speak. If it's strike three, then it is up to him, his partner, the pitcher's mother (just kidding, but you can bet your @$$ she will let you know) and probably the official scorekeeper to get it right.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This would only be true if the issue was if the call on THAT pitch was disputed. "I thought you called it a strike, so I didn't appeal the swing" has to happen before the next pitch. In all other cases, the count is what the count is. Another reason why base umpires carry indicators; to be able to assist with what the count really is.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

strike 3 is strike 3.. can't unring a bell.. she doesnt get 4 strikes... its pretty much a rule.

Coach has gotta be on that with the umpire goofs up. If he's not paying attention, his bad.. if hes trying to weasel 4 strikes, his bad.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

At some point a mistake must stand.

Lets play the what if game.......... What if after the supposed 1-1 pitch (actually 1-2), the defensive coaching staff starts to scratch their heads amongst themselves, but do not actually speak up until after the next pitch. And as long as we are playing "what if" - What if the batter hits a Home Run. NOW the defense comes out and says - Hey wait - the previous pitch was actually strike 3. Are you saying still strike 3 stands?

Now lets go 1 further. Home run as before. A few batters later, the mistake is realized. Now what?

My point is - at SOME point, the incorrect call stands. If it stands in What if #2 and What if # 3, then it should stand in the original post.

Wasn't there a 5th down touchdown that stood as a game winning incorrect play.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At some point a mistake must stand.

Lets play the what if game.......... What if after the supposed 1-1 pitch (actually 1-2), the defensive coaching staff starts to scratch their heads amongst themselves, but do not actually speak up until after the next pitch. And as long as we are playing "what if" - What if the batter hits a Home Run. NOW the defense comes out and says - Hey wait - the previous pitch was actually strike 3. Are you saying still strike 3 stands?
After a subsequent pitch, uncorrectable.

Quote:
Now lets go 1 further. Home run as before. A few batters later, the mistake is realized. Now what?
Same as above.

Quote:
My point is - at SOME point, the incorrect call stands. If it stands in What if #2 and What if # 3, then it should stand in the original post.
Sorry, Bubba, different scenario. In the OP, a subsequent pitch or play had not been made. And what is that thing the coaches are allowed to carry in the coach's box? Oh, an indicator. And doesn't each team have someone who keep track of the game, like a scorekeeper? Do they not have some responsibility to keep track of this info?

Quote:
Wasn't there a 5th down touchdown that stood as a game winning incorrect play.
Wrong board.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Irish:

You say "After a subsequent pitch, uncorrectable"

I agree. Ump said 1-1. No protest. Then a subsequent pitch. Now ump says 1-2. D protests that it is 1-3. Too late. The 1-1 stood and now its 1-2.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irish:

You say "After a subsequent pitch, uncorrectable"

I agree. Ump said 1-1. No protest. Then a subsequent pitch. Now ump says 1-2. D protests that it is 1-3. Too late. The 1-1 stood and now its 1-2.
No one questioned the count when given as 1-1. The "protest" came when the umpire stated the count was 1-2 when the count was actually 1-3.

Like an umpire than cannot get out of the way of a catcher moving for a pop up, this is just a DMU.