The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

AP Mistake

Jr. High game Thursday night - I let you know the level because some people would probably handle this a bit differently in the Friday night league varsity contest.

We had several held balls in this B-team girls game, and after calling two in fairly quick succession, both my partner and I are certain the table hasn't changed the arrow after the preceding held ball. As in, 100% certain. However, the table wants to hold its ground as well.

I, as R, said no there was a mistake and we're going the other way. We know we got this right and figured out later that there was some confusion on the previous held ball and the table thought it was a violation of some kind other than a held ball. That obviously goes on us for not making certain the table saw our held ball signal and knew we were using AP.

My question, though, is how would you handle this situation if the scorer (and timer, and visiting scorer) are all in agreement, but you and your partner(s) are on the other side, absolutely certain you're correct. Do the officials on the court have the ability to overrule the table? Is this a scorekeeping error? Correctible error?

I haven't looked this one up and won't be able to this weekend (left my books at work) but I woke up this morning quite confused!
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
My question, though, is how would you handle this situation if the scorer (and timer, and visiting scorer) are all in agreement, but you and your partner(s) are on the other side, absolutely certain you're correct. Do the officials on the court have the ability to overrule the table? Is this a scorekeeping error? Correctible error?
The official is responsible and is the authority for making the determination.
This is not a correctable error.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

As the officials on the court, it's your call. The table is there as your aide. They have no authority. You did right.
What Mick means by it not being a correctable error is that once you put the ball into play it's a done deal; no mulligans.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Oops

If you do end up with an irate coach, you can always tell him you'll make it up to him by giving him 2 of the next 3 held balls........see if he catches on, or it just flies over his head.