The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:51am
Lighten up, Francis.

Correctable "mistake"?

Ok, my crew screwed up last night. I'm the only who realized it and seemed like I was the only one who cared in the locker room afterward. I feel incredibly stupid, so please minimize the "how could you make that mistake?" comments.

We had 3 T's in my D3 NCAA game last night. One on a player for taunting, one on a coach for complaining loudly, and then one with 1:30 left against a player. My partner called a held ball, then one of the players refused to untangle and pushed an opponent to the ground.

And you can guess what happened after that.

We assessed the T and resumed with the POI, which was the AP arrow. I'm still extremely pissed at myself, to be honest.

As it turns out, it didn't affect anything. The arrow favored the team that shot the technical free throws and we didn't need the arrow again during the game.

I realized the mistake almost immediately after we inbounded the ball, using the AP arrow. I went to my partners and told them that we messed it up and they both said, too late and we didn't correct it.

My question is: once we made this mistake, is there any point at which we can go back and say, "we screwed up and should not have used the arrow, so let's get it pointing the correct way again"?
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Ok, my crew screwed up last night. I'm the only who realized it and seemed like I was the only one who cared in the locker room afterward. I feel incredibly stupid, so please minimize the "how could you make that mistake?" comments.

We had 3 T's in my D3 NCAA game last night. One on a player for taunting, one on a coach for complaining loudly, and then one with 1:30 left against a player. My partner called a held ball, then one of the players refused to untangle and pushed an opponent to the ground.

And you can guess what happened after that.

We assessed the T and resumed with the POI, which was the AP arrow. I'm still extremely pissed at myself, to be honest.

As it turns out, it didn't affect anything. The arrow favored the team that shot the technical free throws and we didn't need the arrow again during the game.

I realized the mistake almost immediately after we inbounded the ball, using the AP arrow. I went to my partners and told them that we messed it up and they both said, too late and we didn't correct it.

My question is: once we made this mistake, is there any point at which we can go back and say, "we screwed up and should not have used the arrow, so let's get it pointing the correct way again"?
I'm not familiar with NCAA rules, so I can't answer the question. I also don't understand why the AP wasn't the POI. Or what mistake you made. If you help me understand this, you'll also be helping others who actually need to know.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'm not familiar with NCAA rules, so I can't answer the question. I also don't understand why the AP wasn't the POI. Or what mistake you made. If you help me understand this, you'll also be helping others who actually need to know.
I'm assuming that this was NCAAM, in which case this was an intentional technical foul, the penalty for which is two shots and possession. It's one of two T's that you don't go to POI for (the other being a single flagrant foul).

In NCAAW, you go to POI on T's except for single flagrant and excessive timeout.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If you instruct the scorer that you are using the arrow, then I believe that you have to catch that mistake prior to the throw-in being touched inbounds in order to fix it. After that it is too late.