Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Section 7. The runner is out.

A. [out of baseline]
B. [tagged off a base]
C. [forced out]
D. When the runner physically passes a preceding runner before that runner has been put out. If this was the third out of the inning, etc.
E. When anyone other than another runner physically assists the runner while the ball is in play.

Effect— Section 8 A–E: The ball is in play and the runner is out. In D and E, the runner passing or assisting is called out.

Shouldn't the last part read, ". . . the runner passing or being assisted is called out"?
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, you really studied for that one. I bet I've rad it a hundred times and didn't notice the wording.

Seems to me you are correct on this one. I have yet to see a runner assist another, but may some day. I have seen coaches assist, and did call the runner out, not the coach!
This does look like an error, hope no coaches find it!
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Wink

Greymule,

Maybe you should take some time away from softball and get some new interests! LOL

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

To me this is unnecessary verbage. If we are the 2 runners, and I am behing you & push you all the way home..that is OK. You can be assisted by another runner. Now if I pass you & start to pull you.. I am out for passing you..I am not out for assisting you. Further more it is not the intent of the ASA to make a runner assisted by one who is already out for passing... also out. I don't think ASA wants both runners out in that situation. The verbage "OR ASSISTING" should just be dropped I feel
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I think you'll find you missed th second half of that one. Yes, the "runner who passes" a lead runner is out. Now, a runner who is already out assists that "lead runner" and the "lead runner" is now also out - the same as if a base coach had assisted a runner.

Steve M
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs up

But greymule is correct about "Shouldn't the last part read, ". . . the runner passing or being assisted is called out"?"; even if Elaine and the rest of us understand the rule without written accuracy. I think we concluded yesterday that ASA, like most rule books, needs an editor.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the rule. I just pointed out ASA's error in wording. In fact, as I have mentioned before, the phrase "anyone other than another runner" is overly broad. The shortstop qualifies under that definition.

Actually, I never thought of the point Chuck and Steve brought up: does a runner who has been put out qualify as a runner for the purposes of 8-7-E?

Hey! There's another error. In rule 8, under section 7, the note says "Effect - Section 8 A–E." Obviously, that should read "Section 7 A-E."

Greymule,

Maybe you should take some time away from softball and get some new interests! LOL

Right on, Elaine. Problem is, I am a professional editor and can't help but notice the errors in every printed communication I see: menus, billboards, notices, flyers, street signs. It's awful. Ignorance would be bliss.

[Edited by greymule on Oct 3rd, 2003 at 12:20 PM]