The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NCAA game - Assistant Coach

How would you handle this situation. I had a college game 1 1/2 weeks ago where I was the BU, in which I called 8 illegal pitches on the same girl, same game. She was sometimes starting with her non pivot foot anywhere from an inch to 5 inches behind the pitching plate. I explained it to her and the coaches. They must not have felt it would be advantagious ??? for the team for her to change since she periodically kept doing it. Now yesterday, same girl doing the same thing. I call illegal pitch and explain AGAIN!!! Assistant coach then makes this remark "sure is funny, we were in a tournament in Arizona this year and better umpires than you never called that" Then a remark about the game the other night. All this was yelled from outside the fence. Should I have warned him, talked to the Head Coach, ran him, or just ignored him and went on? This is my second year of doing college ball. Dave
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I have no personal knowledge of what it's like to work NCAA games, so I have no idea of ramifications...but my first thought is that the coach made a personal remark, directed at you. Why didn't you dump him?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary
I have no personal knowledge of what it's like to work NCAA games, so I have no idea of ramifications...but my first thought is that the coach made a personal remark, directed at you. Why didn't you dump him?
I woulda dumped him, even if it was the last game I ever worked.

The other side of this.. is the coach is probably right about it not being called. If it was consistently called, the pitcher wouldnt do it. She has it in her muscle memory to do it..

So that is a whole other aspect to IPs and when Umpires dont call it just to save the trouble.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
How would you handle this situation. I had a college game 1 1/2 weeks ago where I was the BU, in which I called 8 illegal pitches on the same girl, same game. She was sometimes starting with her non pivot foot anywhere from an inch to 5 inches behind the pitching plate. I explained it to her and the coaches. They must not have felt it would be advantagious ??? for the team for her to change since she periodically kept doing it. Now yesterday, same girl doing the same thing. I call illegal pitch and explain AGAIN!!! Assistant coach then makes this remark "sure is funny, we were in a tournament in Arizona this year and better umpires than you never called that" Then a remark about the game the other night. All this was yelled from outside the fence. Should I have warned him, talked to the Head Coach, ran him, or just ignored him and went on? This is my second year of doing college ball. Dave
Why was the Assistant Coach outside the fence during the game?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Since sportsmanship and misconduct are a point of emphasis this year for the NCAA, and since this particular coach was being anything but a positive role model, and since it was a blantant attempt to show you up (if it was loud enough for everyone to hear), I would say that you should have sent him packing. Then you go home, get on your handy dandy home computer and submit the report. Let Ms. Abrahamson sort it out.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Later on I asked the Head Coach coach if his pitcher was a Freshman and he said yes. I told him that the way she was pitching was legal in NFHS. I just don't think they helped her in the transition. Dave
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Later on I asked the Head Coach coach if his pitcher was a Freshman and he said yes. I told him that the way she was pitching was legal in NFHS. I just don't think they helped her in the transition. Dave
Well, I would guess the vast majority played travel ball.

I do get this call a lot early in the year after NFHS ball though.

Just keep on calling it. Every time.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

When I said outside the fence I meant outside the playing field. If he came up to me without yelling it out across the field it probably wouldn't have seemed so bad. Dave
P.S. I have them again this Saturday.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey coach I hope you were playing under a different set of rules at that tourney, cause if they let her get away with that it was a diservice to your team and your pitcher.

Ok I might have said the above if he was having a one on one civil conversation with me....but shouting accross the diamond like that....nah he would have been my first ejection!!!!!
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Arizona umpires ARE obviously superior to all others.....

Run his *** next time......

And what school was this..and when were they here?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

E-mail him this link...probably anonymously though

http://www.cactusumpires.com/pdf/ncaa-pitcher-feet.pdf
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
Arizona umpires ARE obviously superior to all others.....

Run his *** next time......

And what school was this..and when were they here?
I agree with Darrell.....I would also like to know what team it was and when they were here......
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what part of Arizona it was or the date. It is a small college. Dave
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
I don't know that I'd dump for one instance of this "Assistant coach then makes this remark "sure is funny, we were in a tournament in Arizona this year and better umpires than you never called that". Since it came from across the field, I'd be leaning toward a dump.
However, when this followed, "Then a remark about the game the other night." I'd have some paperwork to fill out & send in.

Then again, I'm not from Arizona, so............
'Course, we got some superior folks in Pa, too
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

In both instances, the coaches from the two different oppossing teams came up to the umpires and asked if we would watch for this infraction since they knew she pitched that way. This was right before the game started. I think the ***istant coach heard the coaches talking to us and thought we called it because they pressured us into it. You would have to be blind not to see it. Dave