Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Backyard BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Depends. Downtown Mobile seemed to be in somewhat of a revitalization phase a couple years ago. But the big thing about Mobile isn't the city, but the manner in which a visiting umpire is treated.

I was down there a few years back and have never been treated better. From the pre-tournament backyard BBQ to the post-tournament steak dinner at the complex to being treated to a minor league ball game at Hank Aaron Stadium, everything was first class.

BTW, Wade, Matt was there with me that trip. Great time.
When I was there for the Men's A Industrial I was treated to an incredible backyard bbq...the steaks were awesome...and the beer was ice cold!

They took great care of us.

Although, if I remember correctly we went out until the wee hours of the morning on our last night there and I missed my flight on tuesday of the labor day weekend. Getting home was quite difficult.

Mobile took great care of all of the umpires.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
When I was there for the Men's A Industrial I was treated to an incredible backyard bbq...the steaks were awesome...and the beer was ice cold!

They took great care of us.

Although, if I remember correctly we went out until the wee hours of the morning on our last night there and I missed my flight on tuesday of the labor day weekend. Getting home was quite difficult.

Mobile took great care of all of the umpires.
That is exactly how I was treated when there for a Major. However, our tournament was so abbreviated, they also took us to a game at Hank Aaron Stadium with the offer of going a second night. Instead, we went to tour the USS Alabama and headed to Pensacola for a night.

They had steaks waiting after the championship game. The aroma of the Worcestshire marinaded steaks wafted over the field. The catcher says "Wow, that smells good". I told him that I'm going to miss my dinner because his team (winners) were still down a run in the fourth. He told me no problem and his team proceeded to put up about twenty runs and ended the tournament. Who says the catcher isn't our best friend?

But you are right, umpires are treated like kings in 'Bama.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey SRW! Lookit what these guys are doing. Maybe we should send a link to Don Ho, Nap and the Lock Box to show them that yes, we should spend more than a buck a person for hospitality at a national.

Actually, SRW did a wonderful job at our national last summer. He pulled off a great dinner featuring Washington's finest: seafood from the Sound, and onions, corn and taters from Yakima. It's just that he caught so much crap from some of the, um, hierarchy. While foie gras and caviar might be over the top, it's really quite difficult to spend too much money and do too much for hospitality.

For those of you in 'Bama and elsewhere who do hospitality right, thank you.

(Mike, you're lucky. I DID miss dinner at a western national once. Went to the restaurant after my game was done -- kept telling my HP partner to hurry up -- and was told the kitchen is closed. No sorry, no kiss my donkey, no nothin.)
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post

For those of you in 'Bama and elsewhere who do hospitality right, thank you.

(Mike, you're lucky. I DID miss dinner at a western national once. Went to the restaurant after my game was done -- kept telling my HP partner to hurry up -- and was told the kitchen is closed. No sorry, no kiss my donkey, no nothin.)
When I was there, it was all home cooking by the local association, no worrying about restaurants or outside concerns.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey SRW! Lookit what these guys are doing. Maybe we should send a link to Don Ho, Nap and the Lock Box to show them that yes, we should spend more than a buck a person for hospitality at a national.
Yeah no schitt.

Quote:
Actually, SRW did a wonderful job at our national last summer. He pulled off a great dinner featuring Washington's finest: seafood from the Sound, and onions, corn and taters from Yakima. It's just that he caught so much crap from some of the, um, hierarchy. While foie gras and caviar might be over the top, it's really quite difficult to spend too much money and do too much for hospitality.
The crap I caught was about the budget. They only budgetted $2000 for hospitality for both nationals - and I spent about $1100 on the 18A. So they were giving me crap for only having $900 to spend on the Men's D. Nevermind the fact that I had 5 tournament days and they had 3... and that I had overbought on water and sundries that they used. Frustrating.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Even though it's almost winter, I figured that, if I want to umpire next season, I had better make connections with some of the important people in Alabama umpiring. So today I dropped in on the state UIC at his place of business.

Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
Even though it's almost winter, I figured that, if I want to umpire next season, I had better make connections with some of the important people in Alabama umpiring. So today I dropped in on the state UIC at his place of business.
Please tell me there was banjo music playing somewhere...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.