The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Alabama v Colorado

At the end of the game, Barney Rubble (I mean Coach Hawkins from Colorado) went looking for the Referee. Any idea why?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the end of the game, Barney Rubble (I mean Coach Hawkins from Colorado) went looking for the Referee. Any idea why?
They had a bet?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Was wondering that myself.

Also, anyone know why there were 2 WH's? The umpire had a wh on as well as an R on his back.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH
Also, anyone know why there were 2 WH's? The umpire had a wh on as well as an R on his back.

The umpire got hurt and that was the alt official. I have no idea why hw had a white hat though
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

According to media reports: The U, Mike Rhoades, had to go to the hospital fo an apparent torn rotator cuff early in the 2d qtr. Reportedly he had planned for this to be his final officiating assignment before retiring.

There was nothing shown during the telecast that would explain the injury if it happened immediately before he departed. He was in, there was a play that went out to the sidelines, did not see anything happen to him, and the very next play the 2d white hat was in.

As for the end of game histronics by Colorado coach, it appears there may have been a whistle blown during the last play of the game as Colorado was trying a succession of backward passes. He may have thought that was an inadvertent whistle and therefore he should get to play the down over. I am not sure as I have not replayed it, but one of the passes was actually forward and I think it hit the ground before a player got it. If so, that was an inc fwd pass and whistle should have been blown. Penalty would be declined, game over, go to the house.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

I watched the last few minutes of the game, and indeed their was a illegal forward pass on one of the attemped "latterals." But what I appeared to have heard was a whistle blow before the forward pass. If it blew before the forward pass, the play should have ended with the IW there, correct?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboman316
I watched the last few minutes of the game, and indeed their was a illegal forward pass on one of the attemped "latterals." But what I appeared to have heard was a whistle blow before the forward pass. If it blew before the forward pass, the play should have ended with the IW there, correct?
Yep, if someone owned up to it then they would have an IW. And that would mean an untimed down. Someone in our internet chat last night mentioned hearing a whistle but I did not recall him saying when it was in the process. Kind of surprised the coach would have known about that rule.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

No IW..... LJ was blowing play dead (knee down) during one of the earlier passes (laterals). He sold it well and came all the way to the middle pointing down and blowing whistle.....only could see it if you were actually there. R made announcement "player down by rule prior to IFP, therefore, no foul....game over". That crew did a solid job. Wasn't sure who they were, found out later they were a WAC crew. By the way.....the U got taken out on a reverse play early in the 2nd Q.